Winter attempt

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Peter Sardagna, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Here is my first attempt at creating a winter scene on part of my N layout. I would appreciate any suggestions to improve it.
    (I am not sure if I uploaded correctly...)

Attached Files:

2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Great that light dusting effect alot:thumb:
  3. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

It looks great!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Now that you got your feet wet......let's see some more pics:D :D
    Your layout looks awesome!!!
  4. Thanks, Steve -- I'll work on some more pics!
  5. fundamentalman

fundamentalman New Member

It looks just thick enough to be real! What did you use real snow? Seriously, did you use store bought snow, or something else? How did you apply it? How did you keep it from sticking to the sides of buildings?
  6. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Brrr. Looks cold and about like the mountains behind our place here in Montana. Its time for the folks in your town to move to Arizona for the winter. Seriously its a great job. Congratulaations
  7. Illus

Illus Member

Make sure to enter that in this months contest! It looks great. Very nice.
  8. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

That looks really well done to me! Gives me the shivers! :)
  9. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Someone turn on the heat please..
    That looks real good. You know, there is a winter scene photo contest this month.
    Maybe you ought to enter it.
  10. More photos

Some of you asked for more photos, so here they are. I will post more in the Rocky Creek gallery.
    I hope you like them!

Attached Files:

11. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

That looks great, Peter! Very nice work. :thumb:
  12. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

jawdrop I am completely speechless!!!!!!!!! (almost):D
  13. I used plaster of Paris in a small sieve from the kitchen. By tapping the rim with a heavy screwdriver, the plaster dust falls, lands and accumulates just like real snow. I seal it with a mist of water from the airgun in those areas where the dust might interfere with operations. Before I start, I lightly mist everything from above to give it a good base.

14. fundamentalman

fundamentalman New Member

Plaster of Paris sounds kind of permanent Especially when you add water. I don't suppose that there is any way to reverse it if you mess up. Is that true?
  15. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Eternal Winter. I still like it; however.
  16. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

WOW, that’s fantatstic. Not just the snow, which looks incredibly good (even though an external winter scares me brrrrrr :D ). Can you show us more pics of your layout, the parts where you don’t freeze by looking at?
  17. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Wow! Welcome to The Gauge!

Very nice work, and thanks for the "how-to" tips as well... :thumb:

18. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

ALL I CAN SAY IS FANTASTIC.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I love how you made the high mountains have snow and then no snow further down the mountain in that scence with those awsome looking bridges. :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D

Great job and be sure to enter the winter photo contest
  19. I have switched from winter to summer several times over the years. All it takes is painting everything. Pine trees actually look better after "summerizing". Plastic structures are easy to clean. Ballast can be a problem...
  20. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Superb artwork Peter.... I don't think the coal tower in front of the stone "monument" was accidental. You placed those pieces there to reinforce the idea of man-made structures mirroring nature.

If that isn't true... it otto be!