Who made these.

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Sarge_7, Nov 25, 2007.

  1. Sarge_7

    Sarge_7 Member

    Does anyone know who made these? I bought them at a train show about 25 years ago. They were already well used then. They are made of heavy metal. I surprisingly,just picked up a pair of dummy trucks on ebay (for the second B unit not completed yet) and the guy thought they might have been Hobbytown. If so, they aren't like my other Hobbytown.



    Still working on the linkage between the trucks


  2. bigsteel

    bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

    if there so heavy can you tell if there brass? thats my first question.--josh
  3. Sarge_7

    Sarge_7 Member

    Not brass, silver metal, I think Zinc. Like the old cary shells.
  4. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    I don't know, but I think I have one. I took it to pieces (after I'd had it about 30 years, and it was used then) and cleaned and greased it. It runs, but it's a real juice pig. No manufacturer's name. The zamac in the trucks is starting to go.
    Are the trucks mounted on little fibre platforms which screw into the floor?
  5. Sarge_7

    Sarge_7 Member

    Yes, that is the same way these trucks mount. I had to fabricate new mounts for them, the others were britle and broken. I imagine if I ever get a layout, these would probably still just be display pieces.
  6. COX 47

    COX 47 Member

    I don't think Hobbytown but mabe Linsay or mabe Lindsey not sure of the spelling...Trucks look a little like Varney switcher but I don't Think it is Varney..Cox 47
  7. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    On mine, the trucks are linked by a piece of plastic tube.
    Someone (hobbytown?) used to make a sliding shaft with universal joints; I think I still have one in my boxes of stuff.
  8. Sarge_7

    Sarge_7 Member

    The plastic tube on mine is missing. My Hobbytown E-unit has the other shaft you are talking about though.
  9. Nomad

    Nomad Active Member

    Sarge, you can use fuel line from a gas powered model for the tubing. I have used it before and it is very flexible. Buy it undersized, heat it in hot water, press it on the shaft and it will shrink to a non-slip fit.

  10. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Hi Jim,
    What you have are a John English FA1 & FB1, which later became HobbyLine.
    I have a John English FB1 I am trying to piece back together.
  11. brakie

    brakie Active Member

  12. HOseeker

    HOseeker New Member

  13. Sarge_7

    Sarge_7 Member

    Ray, I think you are correct:thumb: I think I remeber these being called English Models when I got them:mrgreen:
  14. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    When they became Hobbyline they went to plastic shells and drives. The metal JE versions are getting scarce.
    The tubing coupler as mentioned above is what they used and works well.
  15. toptrain1

    toptrain1 Member

    Ray is right

    HObbyLine. The plastic John Enghish line from the past made that locomotive. Here is a HObbyline H-10-44 made by HObbyline. Two photos.You can see the HObbyline name on each model.

    Attached Files:

Share This Page