While Out Nosing Around Sunday..

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by brakie, Apr 4, 2006.

1. brakie

brakie Active Member

What do I come across on this chilly and damp day but the folllowing.

Attached Files:

2. brakie

brakie Active Member

And a close up..

Attached Files:

3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Cool... but what is it? ;) :confused:

4. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Looks like a rail grinder belonging to LORAM (a contract MOW company...)
  5. brakie

brakie Active Member

Andrew,Its a Loram rail gtinder..This was parked on the short side track next to Transco..
  6. MasonJar

Thanks guys... I thought that's what it might be. Now my next silly question....

Is it a good idea to be making huge amounts of hot sparks with three petroleum tankers in tow (or do they leave them behind when grinding)?

7. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

I guess that's why they give the job to a "contract" outfit.....

Bob :rolleyes:
  8. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I thought those were water tanks in case of fires?????
  9. who_dat73

who_dat73 Member

I talked to the guys when I caught them in town and most of the tanks are water to wet the rails for grinding its kinda a neat opperation
  10. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Larry that is Great that you came across that. Great Photo's.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  11. MasonJar

Thanks for the clarification on the tankers... Makes sense to have your own fire fighting outfit in tow...!

12. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Now the trick is to catch them at work, especiallly at dusk. The sparks are spectacular.
  13. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Some more good pictures.:thumb:

14. who_dat73

who_dat73 Member

For the life of me I cant rember how much they said it would cost to replace a mile of rail but if memory serves me right I think it saves $6000 per mile if they just grind the heads down a few times before replacing them!! Dont Quote me on that it wasd about a year ago that I talked to them. Just a tidbit of info thought might be of intrest
  15. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

Ask and ye shall receive. Here is a shot I found several years ago. Photo and photog info included.

Photographer: Richard Nimtz
    Railroad Rail Grinder working on the Conrail Tracks near Leer Street in South Bend, Indiana. The picture was taken at dusk. A time exposure. January 1994