Where can I buy the components to hand lay my own rail?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by meo1960, Aug 18, 2007.

  1. meo1960

    meo1960 New Member

    I'm looking for the pieces to lay my own track. Things like rail(HO 83), spikes, tieplates, etc. I guess I'm a little surprised that I'm having so much trouble finding parts to do this.

    I could only find 1 hobby shop in my area selling rail and Fast Tracks on the internet. Any others? tks
  2. pgandw

    pgandw Active Member

    I gave you a link to the Proto87 Stores on the other thread. Here it is again: PROTO:87 STORES AND ACCURATE MODEL RAILROAD TRACK. Proto87 carries virtually everything you need to handlay track, as does Fast Tracks. Both are on line stores only.

    Clover House and Fast Tracks offer PC board ties. Both are mail order/on line.

    Walters carries the complete Micro Engineering line (rail, spikes, flex track, turnouts), and their HO catalog also lists other suppliers of items like gauges, turnout kits, ties, and ballast. Items carried by Walters are often stocked at better hobby shops, and can be easily ordered by other shops, or direct.

    Micro Engineering, Railway Engineering (see Railway Engineering), Kadee and others make track gauges. Xuron makes an excellent rail nipper. You will also need a good pair of needle nose pliers for driving spikes. A 40 watt soldering iron with rosin core solder and some rosin flux worked fine for me. Some needle files, a small flat file, and hack saw blades are all tools of the trade. I never had one, but also recommended are a jeweler's saw and a rail bender.

    just my thoughts
  3. jbaakko

    jbaakko Active Member

    Proto 87 stores is the place to go, for P:87 standards, they also have individual etched tie plates, and surprising amounts of RP-25 (NMRA standard) track gear. Micro Engineering makes bulk rail, less ties. You might want to check out the Fast Tracks jigs for switches, and Central Valley Model Works makes molded tie sections for mainline & branchline, plus curveable switch kits.

    EDIT Darn looks like I was a few seconds too late!
  4. meo1960

    meo1960 New Member

    I appreciate the response. This question was in regards to NON-Proto87 track because I'm considering normal ho83 rail as well. I wasn't aware at the time of my previous post that if I went Proto:87, I would be restricted in which type of cars I could run and would in fact have to replace the wheels/trucks on each car, which brings rise to another question. Lets say I go Proto87. How are the new trucks/wheels connected to the car? Is there a special hobby size rivet gun & rivets that are used to connect the Proto87 trucks to the cars?

    I know Proto87 looks GREAT and I still may go with it, but I really don't like the idea of being limited like that. I'm going to have to continue in research mode until I figure out which direction I wish to go. So please bear with me as I continue to learn about this hobby and weight all these decisions. Tks...
  5. jbaakko

    jbaakko Active Member

    Nope, P:87 can use the same old screws, though it is recommended to use the o-ring suspension offered on proto 87 stores.

    Even if you DON'T go P:87, the stores still have a number of things that can be used in NMRA standard use. Scroll down on the page below and you'll see the tie plates.

Share This Page