Wheeler Machinery Co.

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Kurt,

It's sad the skylights didn't work out for you. The work on the whole building is just outstanding. great job over all. The bricks really stand out.

CAS

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I suspect the problem with the sky lights is that the prototype uses mostly glass with a light weight aluminum, steel, or wood frame. The mullions are probably less than 1 inch wide and the corners of the windows are probably made of a 1 x 1 angle. If you make one with the framing only 1/16 of an inch wide you have the equivalent of almost 6 scale inches. You think it will look ok, but when you put it on the model the proportion just doesn't look right.

The model looks great just the way you built it, and a lot of the buildings in downtown L.A. do not have sky lights, so the sky lights are not missed.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Steve, Herc, Wayne, Cas, Russ, thank you all for your very kind comments. :wave:

Russ, I think, you found the source of the problem. I managed to cut the mullions to 1/25", but it just did not look right.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you want to make a sky light for a future model, it might work to make the entire assembly out of clear styrene and then do the mullions and side frames with decal stripes or even decal stripes for the corner edges and thread for the mullions.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Miles, thank you for the link, even though I already know this site for quite a while. I already browsed through all the pages several times and found two structures that will definitely be on my layout: the Hass Barcuh Co. and the Anthony Macarony Company (I love that name :) ).

Gary, thank you for your kind words.