What would you do with 60 square feet of table?

larrwill

Jun 5, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I have three tables from an O gauge layout that has been dismantled; two 4'x6' and one 2'x6'. For the O layout they were arranged as one 10'x6' table, but I would now like to use them for an HO layout, and can arrange them in any configuration for HO.
I have come to the conclusion that I have less than zero layout design talent and am curious what others might come up with. Most of my designs end up looking to structured and cluttered, like just another version of an oval.
The goal is at least one continuos main line (22" min. rad.), with at least two passing sidings, and some operation possibilities. A general all purpose layout.
Here is a link to one of the few main lines I have come up with that isn't an oval derivative. The timesaver and turntable are just there because there is room... I used Atlas RTS to create the plan.
http://home.ptd.net/~larrwill/track/UseTables09.jpg

So if anyone wants to take a stab at it, I'd love to get some ideas.

Thanks...

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi larrwill, and welcome to the gauge.

There are a number of track plans on my website

shamus

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
What would I do with 60 sq. ft.? Being as I only have 32 now I would be in 7th heaven :D ! Your plan looks good to me as long as you can get to the upper side so you can reach the switches for the passing siding. Having said that don't be in a rush to start laying track yet. Draw out several plans and if you want to operate, think thru your switching moves to see if it's too complicated, too easy or whatever. Right now you can make changes to your plan the easy way, with your eraser instead of the chainsaw! :D Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If the front passing siding follows the mainline more closely, it opens up more space in the middle for industries. I would be inclined to leave out that "yard" looking section and just run more "stub" ended sidings to service industries. that would open up more space for buildings and scenery. Why do you want two passing sidings? Are you planning for operation of more than one train at a time? If it is going to be a railroad operated by you alone, it might work better to plan on one train operation, eliminate that back passing siding, and allow more space for industries to switch.