What to use for road's & street's?

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Hi all,
Was just wondering what you all are using for making road's/street's/highway's?
Store bought "rolls" of street's with highway divider lines, etc. or use other material? Wood, plastic?
Heard a few people mention about using styrene, paint it, weather it.
In addition, what about sidewalks & curbs?
Any suggestions?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Heath

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
I was thinking of just using Styrene my self.If I want it to look like Blacktop I was thinking of using super fine sand to give it some texture,not sure how that would work out though.

Chris

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
I use a mixture of sand blasting grit- can also be used for model coal, matt black powder paint and plaster(in powder form). Ratio: 2 (Sandblasting grit) : 1 (Matt black powder paint) : 1 (plaster).

This gives me satisfactory results.

Will post at a later date, as soon as I get pics.

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
I have a method that I discovered by accident a few years ago. I paint the desired area in a thick layer of dark grey undercoat and then put sheets of tissue paper down on it, using the same brush to flatten the paper and allow the paint to soak through. When it's dry it looks just like a faded road surface. It's cheap to make and if done carefully, the joins in the paper hardly show up!

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
CRed said:
I was thinking of just using Styrene my self.If I want it to look like Blacktop I was thinking of using super fine sand to give it some texture,not sure how that would work out though.

Chris
MIx the sand with laytez paint, then you can just apply it kind of like plaser. Dry wall compound works for smoother roads.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Old-fashion adhesive tape, sticky side down and paint the fabric backing to match whatever you like. Comes in wide rolls suitable for road widths. Not good for curves, but works just fine for city streets, and don't forget to show the expansion joints if you model concrete road surfaces.

For sidewalks, drywall. Remove paper - it now comes without any paper - carve curb lines and expansion joints - place and paint. Viola'!

I uise drywall for country roads, because the road should be built-up on a grade for drainage just like RR track. This sets up the grade automatically. Scupt shoulders and you're good to go. Easy to model potholes, too.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use the backside of asphalt roofing shingles, cut to width and marked with paint pens. The I weather them with powdered pastel chalks sealed with Dulcote. My grade crossings are Campbell's bridge ties, stained with dirty paint thinner.

karz7a.jpg

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Long overdue thanks

HI all,
Thanks for all the great suggestions and photos. Have been sick last while so delay in responding. Better now and want to get back into it.
With thanks,
Heath:thumb:

bspun2

Mar 5, 2007
well i used

Heath said:
Hi all,
Was just wondering what you all are using for making road's/street's/highway's?
Store bought "rolls" of street's with highway divider lines, etc. or use other material? Wood, plastic?
Heard a few people mention about using styrene, paint it, weather it.
In addition, what about sidewalks & curbs?
Any suggestions?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Heath
Hey Heath, I used a sheet of foam art board as a base and cork board for where my buildings set with enuff space for a side walk. I covered the cork board premixed wall plaster mixed to a gray color when dryed i sanded smooth never losing the color of concrete it made drive entries easy to make realistic. I just paint the roads with black paint and planning on using auto pin stripe for my street lines. Pin stripe for the curbs too.

Attachments

• 100_0087.JPG
    100_0087.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 80