what loco to use with Go passanger cars???

Zug

Sep 16, 2003
www.zugdcc.com
My brother got me the Athern 3-pack of Go Transit passanger cars, the're nice, but look out of place behind a Santa Fe loco and I can't find any n-scale Go loco, any suggestions?

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
I think you got yourself a paint job.
The Life Like F40 seems to be the nearest loc I can think about.
Paul

aal.jpg

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Zug, are those Athearn cars? Because I know for a fact that Athearn makes a full GO transit set, with 3 Bombardier cars and a GP40. Possibly they also offer the loco on its own.

I reccommend you check with a Canadian hobby shop as they often have local paint schemes that are not shown on US manufacturer's websites. One of my favourites is the Credit Vally Railway, located just outside of Toronto. They are very well-stocked and the people are knowlegeable and friendly.

If anyone can get it, they can. 905-826-1306, or online

Hope this helps.
Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The F40PH is probably the only pre-painted model you'll find for GO Transit in N.
GO started with a few GP40TC locos, I think a unique model to GO.
They then bought a collection of (some used) GP40-2W, GP40-M-2 and used F7 A and B units. The F7s had their traction motors removed and were used for HEP (head end power). A GP40-2 had to be paired with an F7 as the geeps had no HEP. I also heard that trains over 12 cars needed 2 HEP units. The F7As were used on the opposite end from the geeps to provide cabs when in push mode as GO didn't buy enough cabs for all the trains.
GO now uses exclusively F59PH with a different cab from any other F59.
Coaches in the 2300 and 2500 series are wheelchair accessible. Each train has an accessible car in the 5th position from the loco. The 2300s are being displaced from this positon by the 2500s. The position is dictated by raised ramps on the platforms that match the western door on the accessibility car. (Not all stations have ramps -- some platforms can't be reached by wheelchairs.)
Have I covered everything?

Zug

Sep 16, 2003
www.zugdcc.com
Originally posted by spitfire
Zug, are those Athearn cars? Because I know for a fact that Athearn makes a full GO transit set, with 3 Bombardier cars and a GP40. Possibly they also offer the loco on its own.

I reccommend you check with a Canadian hobby shop as they often have local paint schemes that are not shown on US manufacturer's websites. One of my favourites is the Credit Vally Railway, located just outside of Toronto. They are very well-stocked and the people are knowlegeable and friendly.

If anyone can get it, they can. 905-826-1306, or online

Hope this helps.
Val

CVR lists the Atals Go's as "N/A" so i guess they not out yet.

Right now I'm thinking either get a undec loco or possiably a new shell for my extra SD60 and paint that, I know an SD60 isn't right, but then again, Go trains running along side of Santa Fe's isn't right either....:cry:

I'm also thinking eBay...;)

Zug

Sep 16, 2003
www.zugdcc.com
Originally posted by 60103
The F40PH is probably the only pre-painted model you'll find for GO Transit in N.
GO started with a few GP40TC locos, I think a unique model to GO.
They then bought a collection of (some used) GP40-2W, GP40-M-2 and used F7 A and B units. The F7s had their traction motors removed and were used for HEP (head end power). A GP40-2 had to be paired with an F7 as the geeps had no HEP. I also heard that trains over 12 cars needed 2 HEP units. The F7As were used on the opposite end from the geeps to provide cabs when in push mode as GO didn't buy enough cabs for all the trains.
GO now uses exclusively F59PH with a different cab from any other F59.
Coaches in the 2300 and 2500 series are wheelchair accessible. Each train has an accessible car in the 5th position from the loco. The 2300s are being displaced from this positon by the 2500s. The position is dictated by raised ramps on the platforms that match the western door on the accessibility car. (Not all stations have ramps -- some platforms can't be reached by wheelchairs.)
Have I covered everything?
I think so :)

SInce your in Brampton, my brother lives there, (I used to) how many REAL traind stores are there in the area? My brother when to the toy/hobby store in the Bramalee City Center.:eek: :eek: :eek:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Zug, the Credit Valley Model Railway Store is in Brampton, on Queen St. at Tannery Rd. As I said before it's very well-stocked. Give them a call and see if they have what you need.

I don't work for them - honest!!!

The other big RR-only hobby shop in my area is George's Trains in Toronto. I'm about midway between the 2, but find myself going to CV more and more and less to George's.

Found this website all about GO transit's motive power and cars.

http://www.trainweb.org/gotransit/

Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Kent: much as I dislike to correct someone (especially someone I know), Credit Valley is in Streetsville, which is the home of Hazel McCallion, mayor of Missississsaugua, and Spitfire better wear her cowboy hat and mustache the next time she drops in!:D
Brampton does have The Little Train Shoppe. It's on Mill St, just south of the CN tracks at the Brampton station. Not as big as CV, heavy on Thomas, but nice people. Go on the weekend when the boss is there.
You can run GO cars with other RRs. Some of them ran in Miami, FL, and some where sold to Fort Worth, TX. Not sure if they were repainted. A few years ago, GO rented some them back and some others and there was one train, possibly two, running in foreign colours.
(I rode the GO for 25 years, from just after the start of the Georgetown service.)

cpr_paul

Jul 2, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Originally posted by 60103
A few years ago, GO rented some them back and some others and there was one train, possibly two, running in foreign colours.

Yep - GO had a six(?) car consist and F40 loco up from Miami's Tri-Rail just last year. Not sure if they are still on the property. They ran solely on the Richmond Hill line if I remember correctly.

I think Life-like made an N-scale F40 in GO colours a few years back. I think that is your only RTR option until the Atlas GP40s come out.