What is this engine????

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Gil Finn, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I have a HO engine , blue and orange and lettersd for the Chicago & Eastern Ill.

It is a diesle made in Yugoslavia and labed Tympo.

This is stream lined looking .The horn is centered on the hood and on the side it has an outstanding curved fender running its lenth strating at the top behind the cab windows and running to the deck level at the rear.

Makes me think of an old studebaker.

ON the top are 4 exhaust fans.

The top looks like a F# and the hood sort of like a U Boat.

Maybe I can post a pic.
  2. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

THese oix aren't very helpful but mayhaps someone can tell what this is and give me some data on it as a proto type.

It is very well made.

3. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

that engine is a BL2:thumb: , they were the first engines made by EMD, after the F unit body style. eastern, and small roads used them:thumb: . :D -Deano View attachment 31405

Attached Files:

• bl2.jpg
      File size:
      59.7 KB
  4. bounce7 Had to be a BL2 from your word description! bounce7
  5. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

The BL1 and BL2 were basically F unit chassis with a new body to facilitate use in switching manuerers. The engineer couldn't see back of his unit because of the car body. The BL design was supposed to eliminate this enormous blind spot. While it had some initial success, it ultimately failed and the body design was replaced by the geep design that is now so familiar to us all.
  6. alexander

alexander Member

it wasnt a failure though. They learnt valuable lessons from it, and applied that to the far more sucessful GP7, and other GP (and SD units). even today, the SD70ACe and GEVOS still roughly follow that same setup
  7. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

The C&EI purchased EMD BL-1 Demonstrator #499 in 1948 and renumbered it #1602.
    A long long time ago I saw this engine run by my house. :thumb:
  8. viperman

viperman Active Member

Nice, I want one
  9. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

Anybody know where to get one? Walther's doesn't list it.
  10. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

11. P2K made them in several road names.
  12. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Thanks you all.

I now learned this engine was part of a large lay out a fellow in MI had in 1966.

His house was robber and almost totaly cleaned out including his HO stuff. This engine was all that was left of his trains. His wife gave it to me.
  13. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I bid on an other and will paint it in old C&O livery if I will.

I am repainting my original.
  14. KCS

KCS Member

I saw a picture somewhere of one in PRR color's. Can't remember where though.
  15. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Sometimes I like to copy colors of a RR and then also I like to make one up.

This may be somewhere in between.

I am matching it to a B unit for F3's
  16. hobokid

hobokid thebull

i actually bought a c&o one in a really nice color scheme, and it runs like new for .99 cents on ebay.
  17. brakie

brakie Active Member

While the PRR had many different types of locomotives including some odd balls PRR did not buy any BL2s.
  18. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

A few years ago, I was at the National Railroad Muesum in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Here's a picture for you too! Also The Rock Island had a few of these locomotives too. I see models of them often on E-Bay.

Attached Files: