What do you call that thing again???

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by XavierJ123, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. XavierJ123

    XavierJ123 Member

    I have a problem discussing engines because I don't know the proper nomenclature for all the parts. If anyone has a picture identifying the parts of a model engine, etc it would be very helpful. :wave:
  2. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

  3. shaygetz

    shaygetz Active Member

    Oh, I have some reeeeealy colorful names for them parts. To hobby shop guy; "I need that :curse: thingie that goes on top of that other :curse: doodad that makes that :curse: :curse: motor turn them :curse: :curse: wheel gears."...or something to that effect. :thumb: ;) :p :D
  4. docsnavely

    docsnavely Member


    Your new avatar fits perfectly with your LHS conversation!!!:eek:
  5. Russ Bellinis

    Russ Bellinis Active Member

    If you can pick up the Locomotive Cyclopedia Vol 1 & 2 from Kalmbach, vol 1 is on steam engines, and vol 2 is on diesels. Both were put together by Lynn Westcott, so they date back to the 70's, but I think they are still in print. The first chapter of each book explains in vol 1 how a steam engine works and what the various parts are, vol 2 chapter 1 explains how a diesel engine works and nomenclature for parts.
  6. cidchase

    cidchase Active Member

  7. Fred_M

    Fred_M Guest

    I'm confused to wheather you are asking for the names of the parts on a real lokey, or parts of a model lokey myself? I though model from the first post you made, if so, they come when new with a diagram with an exploded view that names the pieces like spur gear, motor, brushes. If it's the name of parts on a REAL lokey then them links cid gave are great. Fred

Share This Page