weight

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Lynn,

The last time I put weights in my cars I tried using nail gun nails. They come in strips and I was able to stack them and get a precise weight for each car. I suppose lead would have worked better, but I had the nails, I didn't have enough lead. :D

That was quite a while ago, now I only have about 200 more cars to go.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm wondering though, how does everyone else add weights to an unloaded flat car?hamr

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Don, I was wondering the same thing, how do you weight and empty flat?
Can you find sheets of material, paint and glue them?

Lynn, you have to be a serious modeller to work in N Scale.
I chose N because I could get more action into my small area (11.5'x6.5' alcove).
Now I find out I have to be better at everything because of the size. :D

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Golfers use lead tape to weight the heads of their clubs. A foot of lead tape x 1/4" wide weighs about 1/4 oz. If you need to just add a little weight to get to the right overall weight, this might be worth considering. The tape is sticky on one side so it stays in place.
dwight77

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Will_annand said:
Don, I was wondering the same thing, how do you weight and empty flat?
Can you find sheets of material, paint and glue them?

Lynn, you have to be a serious modeller to work in N Scale.
I chose N because I could get more action into my small area (11.5'x6.5' alcove).
Now I find out I have to be better at everything because of the size. :D
It's easy to hide weights in a loaded flat car, but not in an empty one. Has anyone tried it????

sputnik

Sep 29, 2004
bluecreekrr.home.att.net
For closed cars, I use wheel weights, and there is also sheet lead (about 1/16" thick, which is real easy to cut and shape, fortunately). I've found both a Caboose Hobbies in Denver ( www.caboosehobbies.com ).

For my empty 2-bay MT hoppers, I cut some sheet lead the shape of the end sections of "floor", painted them the correct color, and simply sat them in there. They blend in very well, and add a good bit of weight.

For an empty flat, an option would be to file off some of the detail on the bottom of the car, and add sheet lead to the thickness of the sides. If desired, add some details to the bottom of the weight. Just a thought, anyway.

---jps

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Hi Yellowlynn: Yes the tape is thin and you can draw lines in it. You should be able to get it at a local golf outlet shop - not a pro shop at a golf course necessairly, but a discount outlet shop or maybe even wally world. It is silver/gray in color.
dwight77