Web Hosting?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by 2-8-2, Apr 9, 2006.

1. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

I want to start a website for my model railroad. Anyone have suggestions for decent web hosting? Free hosting would be ideal here, but I don't really want anything that's going to spam my visitors with ads.
  2. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

I use Railfan.Net http://www.railfan.net/ for both my Railroads of Madison County and the CID, NMRA division websites. It cost about $80 per year (per site). I pay for mine and the CID pays for theirs. We have been there several years, and have been very satisfied with Railfan.Net. They call them a Sponsored site. :)

No ads.
  3. hminky

hminky Member

I use Doteasy there are no ads or banners or spam. The "free" costs $25 to register your domain. I use the "Ultra Hosting"

4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Most ISP's give you space for a site. I'm not sure, but I believe mine gives me like 100 meg of disk space for my site at no extra charge. Right now I've used it only to park a few images there to link to. Check with your ISP and see what they offer.
  5. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :thumb:

As for the ISP provided space...I'm on Sprint DSL. I checked out what they provide, and it's not really what I need. The service they provide is quirky, and I didn't really want to send them more money than I already am.
  6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I use Freewebs. For the $10 a year plan, I don't have to fly any banners, not even theirs, and I've got megs to spare.
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

One other format that lends itself especially to developing railroads (so yo can read the progress... ;)) is the "blog". www.blogger.com is one common one.

8. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member