Weathered tractor

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Inspired by TrainClown on the chat one night, who was having trouble finding an HO tractor I agreed to send him this spare one I have.
But wouldn't you know it, instead of a shiny new one rolling out of my Massey Ferguson factory complex, he wanted one that had seen years of hard service for a farm scene he's doing.:D :D :D

So my friend, you should receive it in a couple of days. I think she's gonna need a tune-up!

cheers
Val

Attachments

• tractor.jpg
    tractor.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 178

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
WOW!

That is awesome work Val...!!!

It is almost a shame that the ones on your flat (if you are still doing this) are new from the factory 'cause they won't get that incredible weathering treatment.

Outstanding!

Andrew

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
FarmerClown is very happy!

Wow Val!!!!!!

That's just too cool! My wife got a lump in her throat when she saw the pic because it looks just like the tractor her grandpa had long ago. It's going to be the best weathering job on my layout! No lie! I know this because I have never tried it, but this will be a lesson for me when I can finally get a closer look.

It's perfect! I love it! :)

Now you have caused me to make a vital decision. I am going to make a farming diarama with a piece of track to put my big 4-6-4 on with some grain cars, beside the grain elevator. (big 4-6-4 won't run on the 18" radius curves on my layout) That tractor can be hauling a load of grain to the elevator. Just my first idea, more to come. I wan't to build a barn too.

You have your choice of a bungalow style house, a large 2 car garage, a small garage, a corner store or an old storage shed raised on stilts. Just let me know what you would like and it's yours. I started making these buildings when my plan was for a small city, but now that has changed. Of course, you will have to weather it yourself. ;)

Happy to make the trade,

TrainClown

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot everybody! I must say I get a big kick out of weathering.

Andrew, while it's true that the flats of tractors on my layout will be brand spanking new, pretty much everything else will be weathered to some degree. I think the contrast will be good.

David, I would guess that you could just file the tread down. Notice that the front tires have no tread at all - they should really have that thin parallel stripe tread.

TrainClown, I'm leaning towards either the corner store or the raised storage shed. Do you by any chance have any pix of those? If so, I'd love to see them.

cheers
Val

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Val, the Weathering Wizard

How's about that as a second, well deserved title to 'Robber Baroness'? :D

Fantastic weathering! My compliments, I'm bowing before you, Madam!

Ron

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
FarmerClown is happy! and sad?

It is here :D and a wonderful job you did too.

But!

FarmerClown was befuddled when he went out this morning to find the wheel had fallen off his tractor. :(

Yes, it's true, by some strange coinkydink the rear left wheel had broke off. One of the cows must have tryed to take it for a joy ride and the old girl just couldn't handle the weight, I guess.

But really, I guess it got dropped somehow in the post. Not to worry though, I can fix it. Or mabie not? It might be neat to have the wheel off like it was being repaired, or a sudden accident. The missing wheel really makes it look dilapitated. It sort of looks interesting sitting off kilter and I could work it into a scene.

Now an update on your buildings. The shed is done except since I built it, I made a jig for making couragated tin out of tin foil and I want to put a tin roof on it. It will look better than the smooth printed paper it has now. I will let you weather it as you please.
The store just needs some window casements and the sign put on and a chimny made. I wont get a chance to do any of this untill next week because from tomorow untill Sunday I am doing the clown act in Moose Jaw at a sreet fair. Actually I am doing my Mother Goose puppet show on Sunday so I have to do repairs in the evenings untill then.

In the mean time you have the delight of anticipation and I have an even BIGGER grin than usual. :D

Thanks again ;)

TrainClown

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Re: FarmerClown is happy! and sad?

Originally posted by TrainClown

FarmerClown was befuddled when he went out this morning to find the wheel had fallen off his tractor. :(

Dang! I thought that packing job I did was pretty postman-proof. On the other hand, I had a wheel come off too when I was just painting one of them, so maybe that is a weak spot. In any case, it's easy enough to glue back.

Glad you like it my friend. I will enjoy this state of anticipation as long as I can!

cheers
Val