water tower scratchbuild

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
with #3 I'm wondering if this will be high enough once the spout is attached?
Could someone also tell me how to get more than one photo in a post?

Attachments

• pict0074.jpg
    pict0074.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 349

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Neat water tank!

to post several images you need to place them on another web site, then use the IMG button to add the url (web address) where you want it withing the post.

If you go to the live chat link at the top of the page, you can read the instructions for posting images in chat. Not the same, but a similar concept.

Brunob1

Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
Have you tried a product called Sculptamold? It's a clay like product that dries in the oven. I've used it for rock work and it's quite good. You can do all your carving while it's soft. It dosn't shrink and it's available in colors. If you get a wall you really like, make a mold and reproduce it in plaster.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Well the tedious aspect has paid-off big time as the realism is fantastic. The cold joint between each stone combined with the shadows makes the effect very believable.

Originally posted by belg
The blocks are made from plaster first I poured an 1/8" thick layer and then scored and snapped 1/4" strips then cut and fit like bricks. A very tedious process.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That is supurb work, especially the stone walls.

I'm thinking that something like that would look great on a layout with no roof, doors or windows. There are lots of abandon buildings like that around here where all the wood is gone and only the walls just like yours are still standing.

Don

Dan Crowley

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
home.cablerocket.com
Here is a water tower that I made. I needed several, so I made a mold to allow me to make them quickly out of resin.

Picture_131.jpg

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
height

If it is too high or too low, you can always redo the landscape onto whic this fits...set in on a slight hill, or into a light slump...Eitherway, beautiful.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
update

Here's a new photo of the watertower. I put together a sample of some scraps to get the color for the stonework as I do not want to go onto the real thing til I'm happy with the color, which at this point I'm not. There is not enough variation in the tones and I'm thinking a grey contrast would be better. Any opinions?

Attachments

• pict0001.jpg
    pict0001.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 132

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Don't recall seeing this thread before... somehow they can slip past ya!

Glad I caught it - that's very nice indeed! :eek: :) :thumb: