Using Kadee #5 w/ Tyco rolling stock

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by YmeBP, Dec 30, 2006.

1. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I plan to replace most of the trucks on my rolling stock w/ kadee's. I've been playing around w/ some and i'm a little nervouse. I may blow my budget and not get even half my cars done.

Is there some way to mount kadee #5 to truck mounted horn style coupler mounts?
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I thought Kadee had another coupler for the tyco truck mounts -- was it #9? I seem to remember an extra thin box.
    #5 may be most common, but it's not universal.
    I body mounted #5 on some of them.
  3. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I bought a 2-56 tap so i could potentially mount them on the body. I'll have to go hunting around their website for that correct coupler.

Looks like #27 or #28 w/ a talgo adapter will do the trick :(. Man .. i just bought a bazillion #5's.
  4. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

Just body mount the #5's with the included boxes and cut the talgo box off.:thumb:
  5. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

I wouldn't waste the additional money on the Tycos by buying the adapter kits.. Like Thoroughbreed says, cut off the truck-mounted couplers, and build body-mounts. Much more solid running that way. :thumb:
  6. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

I've done that with some old AHM and Tyco cars, and the AHM's are the hardest, cause you have to shim up the boxes:thumb:
  7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I'm with every one else, snip those little boogers off and body mount them. After your first couple and the help of Kadee's coupler gauge, you'll be a pro at it. I've done it with Tycos, Life-Likes and toy Bachmanns with equal success, even working on 2 Tycos as I type...:thumb:
  8. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

O.k. i do have a kadee gauge i'll go experiment today. Any links or searches in the forum for tips and tricks to body mounting?
  9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

On these particular cars I did today, snipping the talgos off left me with unusually high end beams. Still, they were overcome with a stack of two pieces of .030" styrene with an additional .025" piece for the front car. I glue them in place with styrene cement then mount them with a small screw. Sometimes the screw is not possible, I've found that they will hold up well in a 30+ car train on our club layout though I highly recommend putting a screw in when possible. Now I'll hit them with a touch of paint and they're ready to go.