update on the rail gun

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by scoobyloven, May 30, 2003.

1. scoobyloven

scoobyloven Member

well guys here is a couple of photos of one of the rail guns i am doing this one is 95% done and ready for weathering took a week to get it to this point it is in n sacle and made out of
    100 % styrene and old trucks i had laying around and mate cuplers . the rail gun is 20 inches from end to end and with the cannon up it is 13 inches high and it is 2 inches at the widest point

Attached Files:

2. scoobyloven

scoobyloven Member

here is another shot of the gun

Attached Files:

3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Ya got a permit for that thing?:D :D :D :D

Great job.

4. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Scooby it's a shame you didn't enter that in the scratchbuilding contest, it's fantastic! :cool: Great work, now tell me does it shoot 22's??? :D
  5. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Nice work! Have you seen the K-Line "Iraqi Freedom" train? It's on the inside front cover of the July "Classic Toy Trains".

REALLY nice rail gun you've got there!

6. scoobyloven

scoobyloven Member

it could fit a 22 shell in to ittyson.

but that just gave me a good idea for the shells for it i'll ask my dad for some of his reload shells he has and use them
    don't worrie all they would be empty ones no powder (dummys)

i think i can get started on the weathering of this this weekend
  7. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

That's just plain...

:D :D
  8. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

That's really well done! What a unique and well executed project! I agree with Tyson and nominate you for an honorary award!
  9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

10. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Scooby, this is a really professional looking model. Congratulations! :cool:

11. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

An interesting project scoobyloven. Does it swivel too?
    Could be fun to have a military train but don't know if there is anything new after the second war. An SD 90 with armour plating?:D :D :D
  12. scoobyloven

scoobyloven Member

sorry it dosen't turn that was the big problem with the big rail guns and when it came to move them it took 2-4 locos and it was a job to do that this is one of the smaller ones they used in ww2 the biggest one was the dora in n scale it would be a hefty 27 inches long from end to end and 6 inches wide and with the gun up it would be 22 inches high

but for this one it wouldn't have a run on the layout it is going on a 36 inch X 18 inch display
  13. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

You've inspired me to go build a Schnabbel car, an articulated flat that is used to carry transformers by GE. Could you share just how you did the pivot points on those two flat cars?
  14. Blake

Blake Member

You could probably...no...most definitly win an award with that gun at any IPMS (International Plastic Modelers Society) contest. They are predominatly military and would go WILD for that (I know I did when I saw it). I am totally serious about that too. Look up IPMS on the net and find a chapter near you. Then see when their next show and go for it. These guys get all excited over 1/72 scale armor stuff. Wait 'till they get an eyeful of 1/160th!!!
  15. sw900fla

sw900fla New Member

Articulated flats

THe railgun looks great!!!

I have made several articulated flats and a used "nesting" styrene tube/rod for connectors. I drill a hole of the proper diameter in the I beam or center sill and glue the outer tube in the top part of the car. the inner rod is on the trucks or the other articulated part of the car. It allows operaton and does not require screws , the weight of the upper portion keeps things together.

Attached Files:

16. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

scooby the gun looks GREAT . Bob do you have plans for the schnable car if not Dick sent me a set i'd be glad to email to you. sw900 look great too.
  17. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Wow! In N Scale, Yet!

Great job, Scoob!

I'm just wondering - with a cannon that size, what do the "kill rings" signify? Obliteration of a small town, maybe?
  18. sw900fla

sw900fla New Member

19. ross31r

ross31r Member

ive got the plastic kit of a similar gun somewhere, and yes it is massive!