Update on the layout

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I've made some progress on the loco service area.
The turntable is installed and operating. All the track is laid and ballasted except where the coal unloading bin will be.
The grade crossings need to be installed, structures finished and mounted and lots of junk and finer details added.

Attachments

• Apr12^06a.jpg
    Apr12^06a.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 65

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Thanks Robin and Ralph.
I usually put together a train in the yard then take it up the mountain, do some switching at the top then bring it down the mountain to the yard which I rename to represent another point along the line. It is a nice run.
To add a little excitement I do the run with another slow moving train running the main line to simulate other traffic.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Thanks Matt,
I've made a little more progress.
I have the grade crossings installed in this area and the coal bin installed.
I'm juggling a couple loco projects at the same time.

Attachments

• Apr14^06cr.jpg
    Apr14^06cr.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 62

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Looking good Ray!! :thumb: I'm glad you were able to fit the loco servicing and TT into that area. It's tight but looks very realistic that way. Have you decided about what you're gong to put up on the mountain yet?

Val

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
The 481 is the old hustlemaster bash.
http://www.the-gauge.com/thread7140-fm-infant-trainmaster.html
I added a wash of burnt umber acrylic to show some age. I'm also working on a gear drive for it.
The service area is a bit cramped but not as bad as I first thought it would be.
I still haven't decided where to put an ash pit.
As far as what will go on the mountain, I think a mine will be at the spur and possibly something like what Robin is doing with the half structures along the edge to give the appearance of a town. There isn't a whole lot of room between the track and edge, I may have to settle for thinner structures or just a backdrop.
Chris, You'll be running trains before you know it.
Take lots of photos to share with us.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder Ray! I had to laugh when I clicked on the link and saw that I had responded to your thread about that loco bash! I have a good memory but its short! :)
Ralph

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Looking good Ray. The water tank and coal tower are great. A good addition to any layout, even on some of those more modern diesel railroads as they should be preserved by the historical societies.