Unitrack on plywood, how about noise ?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by csxnscale, Jul 6, 2007.

1. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

I wonder,:confused: I like the cookie cutter method that can easely be acheived with plywood, but do I need something underneath the Unitrack to minimize the noise produced by running trains ?

2. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

This is a personal decision...

...to me. I ran Unitrak on plywood and enjoyed the sound (especially a heavy train- 35+ cars). You may not like it. I think it's something you'll have to try and make up your own mind.

3. Bones

Bones Member

I use Unitrack for my temporary and mock-up layouts.
    It's great stuff. Flawless reliability, doesn't warp like other brands, higher quality rail, always in guage, excellent electrical continuity, the list goes on....

But.... Unitrack on plywood is definitely loud. I find it distracting when I can't even hear the radio over the sound of a Kato and quiet cars running. I have played with weather stripping, cork, and a few other insulators under the track. It makes a HUGE difference. I would definitely go with some kind of sound insulation if this is your permanent track choice.
    1 3/4" sticky-backed weather stripping was my personal favorite.... but, I also had about 200' of it left over from hurricane preparations. It's a bit tricky to lay down, but deadend the sound enough to be worth it.
  4. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

Thanks, guess the best thing to do is to put some insullating stuff underneath.