UHU02's 2001 EVA Pod - Cautionary Tale

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You're doing a great job. This is also a great build thread. Keep on truckin'!

Reactions: Jacopo1969

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
Base now fitted. I concentrated on getting the front looking correct first, then a bit of focus on the obvious 'zig zag' section at the back - then finally the zig zags round the side holes. Glue added to the top of the upright cylinder from the base section takes care of itself whilst you work on the visible areas. Note that the base does not touch the shell at the rear left and right 'corners' - this is where the rear panel comes into play...

Attachments

• IMG_20171218_100747.jpg
    IMG_20171218_100747.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I was so into looking at the pics, I forgot to click the "Likes"!! :)

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
Although I'm not as happy with the back, I'm obliged to give you a pic for reference. I was unsure about how to fix the step, as I couldn't find a definitive photo, so went with what looked right to me...

Attachments

• IMG_20171219_124926.jpg
    IMG_20171219_124926.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20171219_125804~01.jpg
    IMG_20171219_125804~01.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 18

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
For a SECOND build you jumped in with both feet, and didn't look back! Good on ya! and not an easy one to choose either!
a few suggestions, but first a question, What type glue are you using?
I ask as it seems, looking at your pics, like it is saturating your cardstock, making it soft and there-by warping your build and causing things to not fit as you would like (but if it is all you got hey it's all you got)," everyone has their preferences I tend to use Aleene's Tacky Glue as it comes in regular, slow dry , fast grab and so forth, bad points, it is like a plastic when dry and will flex a bit, does not paint well when using air brush, and picks up and dirt even off clean hands which shows on light colored models like a sore thumb!" .. It is difficult especially on a LONG glue line, to resist putting glue down the complete line and trying to fit the whole thing at one time, better ( and I don't know how you approached this) to use a little on a toothpick and ease a little at a time down the line, getting things lined up along the way. Also, you can use a rounded object, say the end of a small screwdriver or better a burnisher, and burnish the hull edges and glue lines ( after dry ) one at a time, and smooth the card stock into a rounder form. It's all a matter of getting more builds under your belt and learning from others and of course all those mistakes we make ( boy you should see my scrap pile during a build, I swear there is more in there than went into the model sometimes!

Great job..!!!! Look forward to seeing more!

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
Hi Gandolf50 - yep I'm using what I have, which is woodworking PVA. White glue! I'm sure I've an awful lot to learn but I have been using it sparingly using the end of an old steak knife and 'decanting' it first on to an old screw driver so I can just pick up small amounts. Makes me sound like some kind of mad man! I'm sure there's a better material and a better way - but hey, it's not so bad is it? Also, I think the headed paper I had lying around might be a tad light, but I've no way of knowing the weight.

Interested in the burnishing stage and would appreciate a fuller description if you have one. Is that a process I could still use on the model even at this stage?

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Nope..it is too late at this stage..but give me a bit and I will work up a little tutorial on some ways to use the burnising..

Understand COMPLETELY about using what you got!! And as far as card stock..you may be right.. but it is a WHOLE NEW CAN of WORMS THERE!
I use Nexact index, 110 lb but as it is index it is 199 grams a square meter which just means it is a bit heavier than normal cardstock ( I get it from Amazon )I buy 8.5x14 and 11x17 20$ for 250sheets ( go by G/M2 ) as 110 lb doesn't really mean anything here in the States. There is a stock that is from Walmart ... Georgia-Pacific Brand Premium ...down at the bottom, it has the weight at 110/199g/m2 and listed as Heavy Weight for project use. Yellow and white package.
HeavyWeight.jpeg it is a good one but only comes in the stores as 8.5x11 so A4 gets cut off on some things..but if I remember right Uhu02's will print on A4 or Letter...I think it was about 5$ for 150sheets.

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
Nope..it is too late at this stage..but give me a bit and I will work up a little tutorial on some ways to use the burnising...

A pity - but to be honest I'm pretty happy with my pod as it is. Would love to hear more about this, so thank you!

Understand COMPLETELY about using what you got!! And as far as card stock..you may be right.. but it is a WHOLE NEW CAN of WORMS THERE!
I use Nexact index, 110 lb but as it is index it is 199 grams a square meter which just means it is a bit heavier than normal cardstock...

:) I've just bought some 200gsm for my next model!

To be honest, I think some of the 'buckling' round the back was down to me not paying enough attention to pulling the strands together during assembly - I noticed my hemispheres did not have a uniform straight edge so I will be sure to pay attention to that next time I do something similar.

I've got on OK with the PVA to be honest.

Just so you know, I'm over in the UK - not sure how many papercrafters there are over here! :)

Reactions: Gandolf50

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Try UHU brand glues and ZIP DRY, both available at Micheal's, and do not warp the edges, or penetrate the paper. Take a look at DanBKing and what he did with water forming on his Discovery model.

Link = http://www.zealot.com/threads/2001-aso-ussc-discovery-one.172205/page-9

I recommend reading the whole thread, but this page goes into his technique Dan used for water forming the Sphere. You have to use water proof glue, like UHU. White Glue won't work, it would come apart. :)

Last edited:

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
I recommend reading the whole thread, but this page goes into his technique Dan used for water forming the Sphere. You have to use water proof glue, like UHU. White Glue won't work, it would come apart. :)

I'll definitely do that - thanks for all the advice here at Zealot, I am soaking it all up! ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Dude, what you and many others have learned from building this model is immeasurable. You haven't wasted any time, and you always have the option of doing sections over, or not. Everyone learns. That's a good thing. :)

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
So - continuing a build thread that will hopefully be better than the model... :)

Here's my first completed 'claw'. I had thought this bit would be really tricky and intricate but I guess it's a testament to the design of UHU02 that it works so well. So far so good anyway...

Attachments

• IMG_20171220_105607.jpg
    IMG_20171220_105607.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9