Uhu02 interstellar Endurance

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
Thanks for the suggestion, but given the complexity of the individual elements of the tunnel and the modules you would have to design an internal structure that would fit and support the entire ring, so you would have to redo the model by inserting the internal armature from the beginning. Passing a wire inside would probably only increase the weight without giving any real support. Believe me, it does not scare me the amount of work but if work eventually works.
Something like this, made of cardboard.

stand00_RING1024.jpg

Thanks
Nando

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi Nando,when I was contemplating this problem (I started the Endurance, but for various reasons parked it) I was thinking of a clock type layout, i.e.: supports at the 12, 3, 6 & 9 points and leaning the model back slightly (maybe 30' angle?).

You still have time to reinforce the hub section ;)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Exactly! my thinking (engineers can prove me wrong... ;)) the weight is spread out better, and the angle sets off the shape & beauty of the model.

Just have to watch for "centre module droop" aka warp nacelle droop of ST fed ships...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You could always create a Tesseract and have it float in the gravitational field inside. Of course, it might float away on you into some Micro Universe.

Seriously though, using plastic tubes, you could mount it the way you have shown, and should have no problem, making a wonderful display stand in the process. :)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
I think I found the solution.
Looking for someone who had already built the Endurance, I found a German model maker (mk310149) who has adopted a simple and effective solution, at least in a vertical position.

DSCF2179.JPG

As you can see from the picture, he crossed with a wooden rod the main connecting tunnel, so as to make the central hub solid and its load of shuttles and support also the two half rings.
I thought of replacing the wooden rod with a transparent made of Plexiglas to make the "intrusion" less evident and here is a test of the solution.

43121457090_7064337890_b.jpg

Best, Nando

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Looks very good. I think if you mounted the rod coming up from the bottom, it would have held without any further support. Looks really good though, great actually!! ;)

Reactions: Nando

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015

The plexiglass rod version looks better. :) Although the 45 degree tilt support with plexiglass rods would look sharp as well and give a depth to the model. This is a tough subject to support due to it being designed to be in a weightless environment. What works up there doesn't work so well down here due to that pesky gravity problem.:pompus:

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
You are doing a phenomenal job, Nando! :)

Maybe a wall-mounted display?

w.jpg

The bad thing about it: You can't see the back side of the model any longer. But it is another way to display it.

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
I thought the pic below (a quick Render in Rhino) would be a good way to display this model. IMHO :)

@zathros, I tried your solution but, as you described, it is not feasible for two reasons.

The first reason is that the ring's structure is weak, even if now having reinforced the junctions with cyanoacrylic glue no more detachment occurs. Thus it would still be necessary to extend the central pin up to the top of the ring.

The second is that all the weight of the model would weigh on the only central pivot that is not rigid enough, so the whole model oscillates like the pendulum of a metronome.

Believe me I thought and tried many solutions but what I'm implementing is the only one that seems to work.

Best, Nando :)

Reactions: blake7

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
@zathros, I tried your solution but, as you described, it is not feasible for two reasons.

The first reason is that the ring's structure is weak, even if now having reinforced the junctions with cyanoacrylic glue no more detachment occurs. Thus it would still be necessary to extend the central pin up to the top of the ring.

The second is that all the weight of the model would weigh on the only central pivot that is not rigid enough, so the whole model oscillates like the pendulum of a metronome.

Believe me I thought and tried many solutions but what I'm implementing is the only one that seems to work.

Best, Nando :)

This is good to know, the build thread you have done shows that for display, you will have to incorporate it into the model while building it. My confidence in you is high, and I am sure you will come up with something great! :)