Two Gone One To Go

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
So I stopped by the hobby shop on the north side of the city yesterday, I've been making almost weekly trips there the last while. The owner passed away early this year, and his wife and son were deciding what to do with the business.

Well, it appears they've had it listed for a number of months, with no takers. And they're selling off their rolling stock and locomotives like mad (Athearn, Roundhouse and all P2K rolling stock 50% off; P2K locos 50% off; select Athearn locos 40% off). Place is looking quite empty, and I figure they're only gonna be around another couple of months b4 they pack it all in.

They still have some CP Rail P2K switchers for $50CDN. Sweet deal if I was modeling them. I did pick up an Athearn ROCK SW1500 yesterday for 40% off, though - my wife was supposed to get me this loco for my b-day, so I'll just have to renumber one of 'em down the road. No biggie, I've still got the decals from renumbering one of my GP38-2's to do it.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
It's sad your shops are vanishing. :(

Soon you might be down to the internet - at least you can shop on line. Just think if there was no internet ... ! :eek:

At least you got a great bargin on the switcher! :)

The Athearn RI SW1500 is a great little loco - not as fancy as my P2K SW9, but the two of them do the work on my layout. And it's in the great RI blue scheme, to boot! :D

You should like it (them?), Mike!

Happy switching!

- George

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Speaking of deals...when I was on vacation in May, I ran into a hobby store in Berlin, Maryland that was having a "clearance" sale for a day...from 10:00am to 11:00am everything in the store was 25% off. From 11:00 am to 12:00 pm-35%. From 12:00 to 1:00pm-40%. From 1:00pm to 2:00 pm-50%. From 2:00 to 3:00-60%. From 3:00 to 4:00-65%. And from 4:00 to 5:00-75%!
I ended up with $100.00 worth of stash for $25.00!!:cool:
One of the employees told me the owner does that on a whim a few times a year just for the fun of it and since he doesn't care about or need money, he just likes to move inventory.
The only bad part was standing in line for the check out that stretched around the store twice!!!!

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
My local shop is on the internet as well as being "for real." It's not a big shop and doesn't always have the latest stuff (but will order it) and his forte is custom painting. My point is, the real shop and the virtual shop don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Originally posted by Dave Flinn
My point is, the real shop and the virtual shop don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Absolutely correct. But by the same token, many honest hobby shop owners are not aware of the Internet except as competitors. I have purchased through the Internet but only when I have not been able to get it from one of my local vendors. There are two or three hobby shops in my area with an Internet prescence, but they are not selling through those sites. A mistake.

The few items that I have bought over the Internet have come from brick and morter store front operations that also sell over the Internet. I will always support a store front operation whenever possible. Why? Because I had one for several years and know what is involved and the expense of maintaining a walk-in business.

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Hey Roger, There was a discussion about this subject some time ago. I would rather support my local store just to keep him from going under. If he dosn't have it he can get it. Maybe I'm old fashion but I still don't trust ordering over the internet. I know a lot of people who do, all with good results, May be someday I'll face my fear and try it, but for now, Its off to the hobby shop!!!!!:eek: