Turntable/Transfer Table Questions

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by n2trains, Feb 3, 2004.

1. n2trains

n2trains Member

Greetings everybody,

this is my first post with questions or something good to contribute to the group.

I've been searching around for a turntable or a transfer table to go onto the plan of my 10'x9' N-scale layout. I have not even started to clear the room to start construction, but that's not the point. I am looking towards the Arnold turntable, since it seems to be the highest quality, realistic model I've seen for less than a fortune (18 year old HS student...). However, I'm not real sure how prototypical it looks upon a layout based in 96-present (mostly up, some BNSF) Puget Sound area of washington (vancouver, WA to Bellingham, WA). I know that there is still one turntable/roundhouse in operation somewhere around seattle or a little further north, but my friend has not shown me where or told me how to get there. The Transfer tables I have seen cost a small fortune, at least to me, at $350 US. Also, is it possible to change the rails on the turn/transfer tables for my preffered code 55?

Any suggestions? I'm trying to plan my layout and don't want to mis-estimate at this point so I can purchase the track (code 55 atlas) and get rolling on this project before I take off to college in 7 months
  2. fifer

fifer Active Member

Hey Brandon

You and I have talked turntables , but you may want to re-think the Atlas code 55 as well . I am hearing some talk that all equipment doen't run on it without problems due to tie plate and spike heigth
    You might start a thread about track as well.
  3. n2trains

n2trains Member

actually, that's just some micro trains cars, and since I have... lemme count... 1 sec, going to take a while... 1 MT car with non low profile wheelsets, then I don't have to worry about that

and my Kato SD 45s, LL sw9/1200s, LL SD7s and atlas SD60Ms are all compatible, therefore no need to worry, I won't buy stuff that won't work on 'em, done the research about that before heh
  4. fifer

fifer Active Member

Good deal Brandon , just wanted to make sure you knew before the cash out-lay.