Tuesday 10-10 Is It Done Yet?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

I had a good modeling day! I applied washes to the Atlas two-bay hopper and Kadee covered hopper. I sealed the farm house and I plastered the hillside.

How complete is your layout? What's done and what isn't?

If you were to look at my layout you would see that it is only about 25 to 30% done at this time. I have the three completed dioramas, the Water Tower, the Passenger Station, and the Grain Elevator. I also have the Cement Distributor scene mostly complete. The track is down and the hillside is progressing. I still have the town, the power station, and the farm to start. Then there is the mountain and a canning plant…..

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
- Just started putting down a permanent roadway today using vinyl putty. I'll let it dry tonight and start light sanding tomorrow. If this works (which really means if I did it right)...I've got to buy lots more putty for the rest of the roads.

- Built three more buildings for "downtown" area that need painting and weathering.

- Modified a previously built building and kinda liked it...now I'm looking around for other buildings to change a bit.

- Need to improve my scenery and create some interesting "mini-scenes" of real life.

- Need to buy more LPPs and more cars.

I'd guess I'm about 60% complete, until I see someone's layout that has a really well done feature that I want to incorporate, then the completeness factor drops to 40%.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Is it done yet? In a word - no ;) :rolleyes:

Most of it is just getting started, although I suspect this is a common status for many of us... :D I have a large inventory of buildings, and a moderate amount of rolling stock waiting for the real estate to be created, and the track to be laid.

Now I have my new house, I hope things will go faster!

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Are you kidding???? Percentage-wise we might be looking at 50% done. My older section is about 90% complete with the town and rual areas done. I still have to finish the electrical substation and a small mining operation, plus I have one small area where I just ran a new siding that I might be able to add an industrial building.

The newer section now has all the track in place (for the second time) and I'm still working on the wiring. On that section there two areas for cityscapes, a yard and a bunch of industrial spots, none of which are defined at this time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Sounds crazy but I don't want mine to ever be done...close but never quite there. Every time I see someone else's layout, I see one more item, one thing that I could improve my layout with, something I didn't think of.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
mine is finished......... until I see "something else I can't live without! :rolleyes: goldtoth1 :rolleyes: ---- Which usually happens here or visiting a train show :) the "I want that" mentality takes over and soon, something disappears from the layout - to make room for the new thing.. :D

Let's see......

I took out the 6 Ft tall mountain to make room for the trestle bridge for The Climax engine......

I took out the church and other small buildings for the missile launch car

Removed the tranfer table for the Engine repair building, which STILL isn't finished....

Built a whole second level to have a storage yard and that's where the engine stall ended up

got rid of a small shack office building to install the Caboose office building

So for "now" the layout is mostly complete - - until "Progress" rears it's ugly head and something else ....... moves on to make room for something new :D

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Whao things aren't going well...church out - missile car in. Are your LPP's engaged in a struggle or are you just supplying the weapons? Either way, can't win without airpower.:thumb:

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
I've recently moved back to MN and bought a house that came with a nice room for trains - 11 x 20 is what I'm using for the layout. I've completed the bench work, subroadbed, laid the track (ho code 83) and have the 6 track yard done except for the turnouts on the far end. I tried to keep turns to a minimum radius of 31 inches but used some #7.5 and #8 curved turnouts so there are some a little tighter than I hoped. I think I'll start a thread to document and track the progress. I try to model modern freight traffic in the Mankato area with UP and DM&E stuff. See ya dere now huh.

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
Trainroom=85%
Benchwork=50%
Trackwork/wiring=85% of benchwork, about 45% of planned trackwork
Ballast/track weathering=65% of current trackwork
Of about 120' of mainline/secondary route that is in place, I have scenery completed on 7' from front edge to backdrop. I have about 60% of the rest partially completed. I can't do this math!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I think I have all the trackwork done and the wiring in. Might be some changes later.
Most of the layout is covered with basic scenery (grass), but only a couple of areas have extra details. Lots of buildings but one town is still short of street details. Ballast is still mostly "to come".