Ttx Rare Gunderson Box Car Ho Scale Athearn Genesis

rdivizio

Dec 28, 2003
www.modeltrainsweathered.com
Does anyone know the real story of why it's so damn hard to get this car?
TTX RARE GUNDERSON BOX CAR HO SCALE ATHEARN GENESIS
Must be some corporate crap!
I don't understand it, just pour the plastic into the mold and presto!
More Cars.
It's unbelievable!
Millions of dollars spent on tooling, and there is a shortage of a specific car,
come onnnnnnnn!
I'm so tired of not having any answers.
TRAINFEST is coming and the ATHEARN PEOPLE will be there, watch out! I will be looking for answers.

Rich

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Oddly enough those cars prove to be in high demand.My local hobby shop got a order in on Friday and was sold out by Tuesday. :mad: Now,like you I am looking for that car.However it might be a hard find since this car was discontinued!!! :curse: :mad: :confused:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think that what happens is the manufacturer has to estimate the demand before they order a production run. By the time the product hits the hobby shop shelves, it is too late to change production numbers. If the manufacturer over estimates the number of productrs needed, the market is glutted and the distributor is stuck with the excess. If they under estimate the market, there is a shortage. The car will probably go back into production, but it has to wait it's turn in the rotation. Athearn has such a huge product line that only a limited number of products can be built in any year.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well I just got back from a Train Show.I got both T box cars and 3 other discontinued cars for a very good price of $17.50 each..I bought the last two T Boxes the dealer had in stock..I was talking to this dealer and he thought the cars would be produced again but with different numbers.According to what he was telling me the Genesis cars and the RTR cars are big sellers as are the Genesis and RTR locomotives..I finally got good directions to his shop and plan on heading that way next Saturday. :thumb:

Russ,I believe you are correct.It seems to me there is a market for cars with different numbers so I fully believe that will become the marketing strategy for most manufacturers for a fast turnover and return on their investment..Atlas,Branchline and Intermountain has been doing this for some years now with their line of cars so,it only makes good business sense that other batch manufacturers follow the same marketing strategy.
Good,Bad or ugly only time will tell.

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
Brakie, I didn't know you modeled such a modern era? Aren't those T-boxes really recent? Like only a few years old? I've heard comments on some HO versions not being correct or matching any real cars... LBF and Genesis make them, but is one more correct than the other?

As for frustrations obtaining items - manufacturers make smaller runs these days of most everything and they can't predict if something will be really popular. Should this be true, the item sells out quickly but usually if you wait, it will be rerun to catch up with the demand. Genesis cars are often rerun as the demand requires. I've seen the 60' Berwick and other cars rerun into new numbers including the ever popular AT&SF red cars.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Jim,I like the newer cars that doesn't fit my C&O/Chessie(c&o) era.So,I simply use my C&HV units when I want to use my modern cars.That's one good thing about having your own freelance short line..You can update it or back date it at will.
My C&HV will fit any era from 1978-2004.Not to mention I have some other short line units that can fit into the modern era such as my R.J.Corman geeps.Of course these geeps are Athearn GP7s and incorrect for R.J.Corman.However,I ordered some R.J.Corman decals and plan on having 3 of my P2K GP9s painted for R.J.Corman.These will be numbers 9002, 9007 and 9010..I always wanted to model some of Corman's locomotives that is how I ended up with the Athearn Corman units.I knew they was incorrect but,could not pass up the opportunity.
How can anybody not like R.J.Corman's paint scheme?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=59378

Need I say more? :D

I don't know if these cars are correct or not but,do know they sold out fast..For me to get a LBF car I would need to order it sight unseen or go to Cleveland.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I've seen R J Corman boxcars on the U.P. main behind our shop in City of Industry, Ca.; but I've never seen the locomotives before. You gotta love that paint scheme. I don't know who R J Corman is, but anybody that incorporates an outline of a first generation EMD E or F unit in the scheme must be a railfan.

dean

Jul 9, 2004
Laytonsville, MD
You can occasionally find thes TTX 60' high cube boxcars at train shows, there were a few of these at the Timonium show a couple of weeks ago. Of course, everyone was also asking if anyone had seen much less had the CP version at the show!

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Welcometo the world of limited runs. We've been living with this crap in N scale for years. Be sure to reserve plenty of what you want and be able to live without what you didn't.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
On a side note, Rick Corman has dipped into just about all aspects of the railroad industry: construction contractor, equipment vendor, derailment clean-up, and shortline operator. His rail lines run in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennesee, and Pennsylvania (And probably elsewhere by now!) and he has his other operations located across the country.

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
Brian Schmidt said:
Welcometo the world of limited runs. We've been living with this crap in N scale for years. Be sure to reserve plenty of what you want and be able to live without what you didn't.
There is really no need to live without Brian. I had the mentality you have several years ago - buy it when it's first available or go without forever. I found in the long run I have probably paid more for my merchandise than if I had been a bit more patient and not worried too much about going without. My experience during the past 3 or 4 years is that you can find 99% of what you want or need if you visit one or two large train shows a year, and keep an eye on Ebay for certain products. Often you find them as substantially lower prices than you might have paid by reserving with a major vendor at a modest discount. For example, I reserved my Athearn Genesis D&RGW F9ABB set with MB Klein because I didn't want to "miss out". I paid a total discount price with shipping of $286 for them - since then I have seen that same set on Ebay over and over for $199.95 and a "buy it now" price of $219.95 plus shipping. Yes, occasionally some items end up "rare" and cost MRSP or more but as a rule, limited run items don't usually make our worlds all that bad.

Yes, it is annoying but the savvy modeler, with a little patience can get what he needs. I'd rather have manufacturers do limited runs, but rerun, as they do, than make bigger runs that sit on shelves and discourage them from new projects. It's better to have financially healthy hobby companies offering us lots of new toys often than struggling ones which don't offer new stuff very often.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Jim,Absolutely..It pays to wait..I got all of my CF7s for $55.00 after the rush was over. :thumb: I got those Genesis cars for less then $20.00 by waiting.Plus never overlook the use box(shelf) at hobby shops that buy used equipment.You never know what may show up there.

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
Yeah,

While I never paid close to MSRP, I really could have saved a good chunk on those Genesis F units. I used to pre-order loco's regularly with MB Klein, something that disenfranchised me with my LHS when he found out by reading it on the forums. So I guess I won't be looking at the used box at my LHS since I don't feel welcome there anymore. Anyway, I learned my lesson with the Genesis units... However, it wasn't until lately that I"ve seen them deep discounted to the degree I mentioned earlier.