train stuff in Chicago's Loop

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by PennCentralFan, Mar 5, 2006.

1. I'm going to chicago next week and I'll be staying in the loop area--sorry I won't be taking amtrak, but I'll be taking the El from Ord to downtown. I've been to Northwestern Station and ridden Metra and the El before, and I'll try to take a trip to Union Station but I would like to know what train stuff is in the loop area in regards to

Train/Hobby Shops
  2. ScottyB

ScottyB Member

3. jetrock

jetrock Member

The Pioneer Zephyr is a very early streamline diesel-electric locomotive--it used to sit rusting out in front, now it is indoors and totally restored inside and out--you can go inside and get a close look. MSI is a definite must-stop.

Most of the hobby shops in Chicago I am familiar with are outside of the Loop, like Des Plaines Hobby and Chicagoland Hobby. Railfanning in Chicago is not hard--it seems like there are trains everywhere, and one thing I encounter every time I go to Chicago is that half the buildings I see in the older parts of the city look straight out of the Walthers catalog!
  4. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

...maybe they are! :D
  5. roenickrox

roenickrox New Member

I was going to suggest the MSI display,but everyone knows about it. If you have the chance to come back in the summer, the National Train Museum in Union IL is a good place to go. They have a web site with live cams, but I can't remember the address. It's about and hour and a half ride northwest of Chicago (approximately half way between Rockford and Chicago.) I don't know of any stores in the city, but my favorite is called Ron's Mundelein Hobbies which is 98% trains of all scales.
  6. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder should get you to Illinois Railway Museum.

Check out Destination Hobby Center in Libertyville......Hey, it's my paycheck!

Nope,...Mayor Daley wouldn't waste that much money on buildings.:D :D :D