Train Station kit

I am considering making this Station into a kit. The only change I would make is that instead of brick, it would be all wood siding.
Please let me know what you think of the building and what/ if any suggestions you have.
Thanks,
David

P1010006.jpg

P1010004.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Is that the original configuration (and cladding - i.e. brick) of the Capreol station? I agree with Dave that the dormer looks too modern for the rest of the building. I personally like brick and stone stations over wood, but wood is not bad either...

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
David,
First, I'm not familiar with the station, or VIA, so I have no idea how sucessful a kit it would be. Are you going to market it as an injection molded plastic?, cast resin?, or laser cut wood? Are you capable of releasing the station as is, and as was?
Are you going "simple"?, or will this be a craftsman kit? It all makes a difference, where it comes to marketability. You'll get a more valid opinion if you can be more specific.
Based on what is there now, The primary interest would be from those who model the line. They would want it as is. Those who model the line in an earlier time, would want it as was. For the general population, I think it could go either way, as brick, or wood sided. It is generic enough to fit in most anywhere.
Pete

Pete, I plan on making it generic so that it will fit in anybodys layout,(No name, Via is Canada`s passenger system,like Amtrac) regardless of what system they model. I hope to offer it with the option of wood or brick siding. It would be mostly laser cut wood, except the brick sided kit. It will probably be a craftsman kit, and include details such as the lugage cart shown in the picture.Here are 2 more pictures of the front and other side

P1010007-1.jpg

P1010008-1.jpg

So far brick seems to be the one most people like, Also alot do not like the round window!
David

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I like the building. It looks like it has either solar panels or windows above the entrance door above the porch. The building looks very modern. Is it new construction made to look like an earlier time period, or is it an old station that has been modernized? If it is an old building, I would suggest making it available so that it can be built as is, as was, or changed from brick to wood siding. I guess what I'm thinking of is the AMT 3 in one customising car kits I used to build as a kid. A craftsman type kit will be more pricey compared to a "shake the box" Atlas structure kit, and even though the extra pieces to make it as adaptable as possible will add some cost, that probably isn't as big a factor on a craftsman type kit which has a higher price point to begin with. I also think from a marketing stand point that the more versital the kit is, the bigger your market will be. It looks like the type of small town station that would be at home on any era railroad with the right details.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
The building doesn't appeal to me, but that's just a matter of personal preferance. It's the dormer with the big round window I dislike. Which will be just what others may like best. However, unless this is a pretty common type structure in the area, I would think there would be few people interested in it. It doesn't seem "railroady" enough to be used in a "generic" fashion. And if there are a good number of people who model this line orlines with the same/simialr structure, I'm sure as others have stated, they will want the model as it is/was.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I just thought of something else that may widden the appeal of this station model. If the dormer roof were included with a choice of windows, but the basic model had a solid roof so that leaving the dormer roof off wouldn't show then it would achieve the maximum appeal.