Train Songs

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by TR-Flyer, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Rusted

Rusted Member

The kids and I listen to a John Denver train CD that is still on the market. Very good if you like JD.
  2. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Eclectic musical tastes...

Well, they did start off waitin' for a train.... :D

I thought that the 'requisite for this thread was supposed to be good tunes that had some remote connection to railroadin'.

I get my love of jazz and swing from my dad. I misspent my youth, hanging around with a diverse crowd.... Punk-Rockers, Head-Bangers and Hippies... Stayed far away from the Disco/Hip-Hop/Rap Crowd though...

My dancing is restricted to Slam-Pogo!

I will have to rack my brains for a Punk rail-tune... I'm sure there must be one. Perhaps something from the Ramones?
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I've always divided music up by their transportation -- trucks means country, cars means rock and roll and trains means folk music.
    And horses means either western or opera. :D
  4. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Tin-Goat: Thanks for the Tull site! Love the Glen Miller too, saw Jimmy Stewart play him again just the other night. Can't wait for the punk Train song.

How does punk fit into 60103's major music groups?

One more, "Great Train Robbery" by Mountain.

5. Mike R

Mike R Member

David / 60103;
    There's WAY more country songs about trains than folk songs.
    I though folk music's ''transportation'' was more like an LSD trip, or other mind-bender stuff....????;) ;) ;)
    regards / Mike
  6. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Musical mystery tour....

I'm a Jimmy Stewart fan too.... Got the Glen Miller Story on VHS!

Good Question..... Mods ride scooters....

Punkers walk in their Doc Martin's, ride transit or steal taxi cabs.... :cool:
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I stand by my contention. The country train songs were stolen from the folk singers. :mad:
    and Mike?...from Meaford?* A lotta things got called folk songs that didn't have anything folkish about them...kinda like Lionel's new push trains.

(to be said by John Morgan):D :D
  8. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Just check out Woodie Guthrie's catalog if you want to see how long folk music has been talkin' about trains. The LSD stuff just started with Woodie's son. But Arlo sings about trains too, just look upstream on this thread to see a couple of 'em.

"Ridin' on, th' City of New 'oilins...."