Train Derailment In Sweetwater, TN

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by kf4jqd, Jun 20, 2006.

1. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Last night there was a train derailment in Sweetwater, TN. It doesn't say, but I believe it's a NS train. Their mainline runs right through Sweetwater. Here's the link to a Knoxville TV's website for more information.

I'm about 10 miles from this accident.
  2. brakie

brakie Active Member

Andy,I am not surprise there hasn't been a derailment here in Bucyrus..The last one was in 2001 when several 86 foot auto parts cars derailed.
    I watched the video and it doesn't say however,since NS runs through Sweetwater I have no doubts it a NS train.
  3. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

New Break:

I just heard on the radio. It was a NS train. US Highway 11 will be shut down until tomorrow.

4. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Oh oh

oops - i didnt see this post under my current posts - I inadvertently posted this derailment from the Associated press..

Any Chance we could get get a forum for train mishaps - derailments, wrecks, etc? Just an idea
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I think they normally go in "The Real Thing" either US, Canada, or International as is appropriate.
  6. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

No big deal Michael. Sometimes news like this might get posted by more than one member. If you'd like I can delete the other thread since there aren't any responses to it yet (as of around 9:30 CST). General Talk or The Real Thing threads are fine places for information about derailments.
  7. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

An Update:
    Even tho NS has taken the responsibility. On the the news, it showed 2 BNSF locomotives on the train. It's still under inverstigation.

8. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

It was in our newspaper today about the derailment. The cause was bad brakes on the locomotive. It was not the fault of the crew. The indicator in the locomotive said they were functioning ok. The mainline in Sweetwater was shut down for a few days. Trains are now running through there again.