traction question

lawnchoker

Dec 4, 2002
mi
Visit site
on my 2 8 4 only two of the 8 have traction tires, can i change more of the drive wheels to use more traction tires, are they available or do i turn them down on a lathe, im looking to cheat on the grade rules. :D jeff

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Jeff,

How much are you looking to cheat? My 4-6-2 with no tires makes it up a 4-5% with six cars with no problem (including two heavyweight passenger cars). Unless you have a logging line, protoypical grades don't get much steeper and will start to look "wrong" if you go too steep.

You may need to look at changing the weight distribution in your engine for better traction.

Andrew

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Weight makes all the difference in the world. I was testing a lot of my industrials for steep grades and found if I pressed down onthem when they slip, they really got traction and took off again.

Wonder what would happen if you take 60 or 80 grit sand paper and sand the track perpindicular to its' length to make the track have better traction. I'm gunna try it.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Wonder what would happen if you take 60 or 80 grit sand paper and sand the track perpindicular to its' length to make the track have better traction.
Probably the track would become a highly efficient collector of dirt, and also quite good at dispensing said dirt onto wheels.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I have mixed emotions about that theory, but, yes, that crossed my mind. If I were to do that on a real layout, I would only do it where the track is easy to reach/clean and also only on the steepest incline. You might be surprised; it might remove dirt from the wheels!

lawnchoker

Dec 4, 2002
mi
Visit site
hi mike, didnt know there was different traction tires available are they better than the ones lionel uses, also does the use of atlas track give better traction,my lay out will use atlas nickel silver only have the starter lionel track up & running now & it seems to slip alot maybe its just my lack of exprience with trains, will try to remain within the grade specs thats 4in per 100in ? jeff