Track Gradients

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Cannonball, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Where does everyone get the foam blocks for their track gradients? Do you make 'em yourself or can they be bought somewhere? Do they come on O Gauge?
  2. viperman

viperman Active Member

Woodland Scnenics makes the inclines, risers, etc. Can be bought at most hobby shops that deal with trains
  3. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Hahah i asked the same exact question today. It's amazing how they make it all look so good isn't it?!

This thread:

Amrap1 said he uses Woodland Precut risers.

I think i'm going to try and make a small foam cutter and make my own risers. :)
  4. Cannonball

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Let us know how they turn out. I tried and actually did a fair job for the portion of the incline that was over 1/2" thick. The problem is trying to cut foam thinner than that. I was making 4% grades which equates to going from nothing to 1/2" over 12" in length. For a 1% grade it means going from nothing to 1/8" over the same 12" length. I finally gave up and bought WS inclines but used regular 2" foam for the flat riser sections.
  6. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I did it the hard way and carved my grades into the terrain after I built up the mountains. I wanted the grade to follow the contours as they would in real life.
  7. 65GASSER

65GASSER Member

Not to butt in and steal the thread but how much of a grade can you go at once?
  8. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

that site says 2 to 3% per 100"

I was just looking up the same thing earlier to see who i can work my current a tee go up the 3.5 inches i need to get a train under it.
  9. Cannonball

Moral of this story..... No gradients for a 3x6 O27 layout. :(
  10. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

That pretty well sums it up Cannonball.
  11. Cannonball

I'm pretty good at overstating the obvious. :D