Time to start my first paper model

Paulej55

Jun 2, 2013
In Australia, plastic and resin dominate. While doing someresearch for a kit I am building (Atomic City – 2001 EVA Pod) I came across UNU02’spaper version. WoW! I though, is this scratch built, what was the medium. Inever suspected paper could look so good. The technical details the finish,well what can I say but a brilliant model and build. It inspired me, so Ijoined up with Zealot and then began to task of finding a paper mode to startwith. After some searching I managed to download a basic model from Star Trek theGalileo shuttle. I thought I have built this a few time in several mediums,plastic, wood, resin why not try paper now. Well started and the first thingthat strikes me is how easy it is to make a mistake! But still getting the feelfor how to cut, bend and glue paper requires some delicate skills and afterreading through a few of the other threads, starting to get a betterunderstanding of technique. Still I guess everyone is different and the bestthing to do is just go and do it so here we go! first photos.

Attachments

• P6040002.jpg
    P6040002.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 18
  • P6040005.jpg
    P6040005.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 15

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
When you finish the model, post the other builds if you still have them to show the comparisons between the mediums. This is a very well designed model. Enjoy have fun and see you around the forum.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Oh, yes! It's looking very good. Great to have an Aussie here! :cool: Welcome! :thumb:

I agree with silver, a group shot with all those shuttles would be awesome. I'm looking forward to the results. Have fun and enjoy! :wave:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Jump right in head first man, the water is fine....
The build looks great so far, keep at it.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I built this model around 7 years ago, when my son was 4. He put that model through all kinds of horrid situations. I suggest no folding on the body of the craft, but cutting the parts and gluing them on as separate panels. It is very easy to get an accrued intolerance in this model. Make the sides and top separated, don't fold anything on the body. Use L shaped paper strips to locate the parts. You will get a much straighter and stronger model. It is a beauty for sure. :)

Paulej55

Jun 2, 2013
From a first timers perspective, paper models offer a level of comfort that other mediums don’t have, such as, if you mess up, print a new page out and start again. Slips with the knife and messy gluing aside. All things to learn along the way. Case in point, I started to darken the edging around the front windows, only to slip and draw a line over the front. Well I though just get some touch up paint. Well ah! its paper you can’t do that. So a reprint will be coming along. Which I suppose brings me to my first issue. I know this may have already been covered in other threads, but what paper do we use? Currently I am using 140gsm Glossy Photo Paper. While it dose do a good job I feel that perhaps a matt paper might be better and the weight of the paper might not lend itself to larger models. Thanks to all for your encouragements and I hope you like the next series of photos.

Attachments

• P6050009.jpg
    P6050009.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 21
  • P6050010.jpg
    P6050010.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 20
  • P6050014.jpg
    P6050014.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 17

Rogerio Silva

Nov 9, 2012
Rio de Janeiro - BRAZIL !!!
Well done, mate! It looks great so far, you're doing a great job.
About paper, well, I usually go with 140 and 160gsm. The more complicated and smaller the detail, the lower the thickness of the paper.
And about paper weight, well, you're right. Some models do collapse under their own weight, or maybe start to sag, so the modelers here include formers and other inner support structures, using thicker paper (200, 230gsm).
So, it depends on what you want to do. Photo, glossy paper sometimes can be a little more difficult to glue, specially if you try edge-glueing (not using tabs). Matte paper is a bit more "glue-friendly", but that's not a rigid rule.
I hope I've helped, and I wanna see some more, please!

tjbmurph

May 21, 2012
Canada
Nice job! I always like to see what people start with. This is a great place to come and learn, welcome aboard :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you're not happy with the outside, you have a lot of reusable parts inside. I recommend 110 lb. card stock for almost everything I do. I would laminate it for this model, roof and sides. I would cut offf the nose and continue with 110 lb. Bright matte paper. I believe, in this model, because of the double thickness's, ou can use the existing walls. Stay away from the glossy stuff. You can save this model and end up with an excellent subject. It is a really well designed model. I toyed with making one out of aluminum flashing for the outside surfaces. :)