Time out to short

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
I have found lately that I will be reading a post then go to say something and AFTER typing in a message I find the time has expired and I have to sign back in. I find this extremely inconvienient and would like to know how to extend it so it does not happen again.
Thanks.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Might be the settings.
Some dial ups have a "inactivity setting". This could be set so you automatically log off because you haven't had any activity, (Clicking on something, changing web-pages). So, even if your typing up a post, depending on the length of post, you haven't done anything in the set time, so you get logged off automatically.Its a security thing thats mostly on dial up servers. You can set it yourself, but its been soooo long since I was on dial up, I forgot how to do it.
I had that same problem when I was on dial-up. Don't get it at all since I got broadband.
Gee...I hope i wasn't babbling there....

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
I never keep cookies. WAY too much spyware etc out there for that. But thanks for the idea. I have no idea how cookies AFTER I sign out would affect me WHILE I am signed in because cookies are enabled each and every time I sign in. But thanks for the idea though. :)

I know on some other forums they allow you to edit how long to keep you up butI could not find that option here is all. Thought maybe they had it and I overlooked it.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
fsm1000 said:
I never keep cookies. WAY too much spyware etc out there for that. But thanks for the idea. I have no idea how cookies AFTER I sign out would affect me WHILE I am signed in because cookies are enabled each and every time I sign in. But thanks for the idea though. :)

I know on some other forums they allow you to edit how long to keep you up butI could not find that option here is all. Thought maybe they had it and I overlooked it.
Sorry, if you don't use cookies, you have to log in each time you come here. I don't know about the time-out while you're composing, but we are set to remember you while you're here and for 30 minutes after you've left here, but again, you need to allow cookies from here to do that. I can find no settings that even the administrators have access to that say how long you are remembered if you don't allow cookies.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
OK, so is it because I' m on dialup that I have to sign in almost every time? Cookies are ok but I'm more of a pie fan, really I'm so computer dumb I don't know what "cookies" are , this thing is a fancy typwriter to me.

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
I don't mind signing in everytime and my cookies are enabled I just don't keep them after I close my browser is all.
That is not what I am refering to. What I am finding is that I will be on this site for a while and then when I go to answer someone and click the reply button I get a screen saying I am not signed in when I know I am because I have already replied on other posts in this forum.
Oh well. No problem. Seems to be a time out of some sort. I was only wondering if it was possible to lengthen it is all. :)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well I never sign out on several forums..I found its to much of a hassle to log in each time I check the forums.As far as spyware you pick those up any time you go on line.The best solution for spyware is to use a good spyware removal system every other day and clean those buggers out.

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
Larry so true. On my website in the computer section I have links to all sorts of security things [obviously no one here has been to my site, oh well [sigh] LOL] and I do keep up on spyware stuff. I also link to freeware versions so people can get SOME sort of protection.

Just another side of me :D