Thoughts, Opinons, Suggestion Please...

Shlitz

Sep 6, 2004
Bartlett, IL
trains.acsipc.com
I am ready to begin drawing this plan on my cardboard covered L-Girder benchwork.

The blue track will be at 44" high and the green at 48". The long green sidings will have to be buried and have to be accessible from underneath. I am planning to run the track for several months to get all the kinks worked out before scenery.

I really want two main line loops for continuous operation. The width of the room is making this difficult only have 9' at the tightest spot.

My original designs consisted of a large table against the long wall but I found accessing the entire table was very difficult without access holes. I have switched to a preferred walk around design.

The single green line ending at the door will be for DCC programming and possibly staging since it will be near the control panel.

I have tried to avoid radius turns less than 24" to prevent problems with long cars and locos. Turnouts will be Peco #6's in most cases. Grade between the green and blue lines is 2% on the purple line.

Each loop has a bi-directional reversing loop in the design which will be wired/managed with a Digitrax Quad board.

Please post any thoughts, opinions or suggestions that you have and I will be glad to review your comments.

Thanks in advance for taking time to review my plans. :wave:

PlanJ-small.jpg

Shlitz said:
The blue track will be at 44" high and the green at 48". The long green sidings will have to be buried and have to be accessible from underneath.
I don't quite understand how or why you're planning to "bury" the green yard or sidings when they are higher than the blue track in the same area. Is all this track hidden?

You've seem to have worked this through quite well already, so I think I'm just missing something.

Wayne

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I assume that you like to "let'em roll" - running long trains through a beautifully done landscape. There are almost no sidings, no yard and no visible engine facilities. (Or did you leave them out?)

The plan looks great for me as a 'train parade' layout. The staging/DCC programming line is an excellent idea.

The long green sidings will have to be buried and have to be accessible from underneath

Like Muddy Creek I stumbled over this sentence. Is it a typo, and do you mean the long BLUE sidings along the lower wall? In this case you could install a station for long passenger trains with the green tracks along this wall - above these two sidings. Just an idea...

The only problem point for me is the narrow aisle space in the lower left corner. Perhaps you could gain a few inches by tucking away the blue siding below the green tracks and the purple ramp track towards the left end of the long table along the lower wall.

Ron

Shlitz

Sep 6, 2004
Bartlett, IL
trains.acsipc.com
Muddy Creek said:
I don't quite understand how or why you're planning to "bury" the green yard or sidings when they are higher than the blue track in the same area. Is all this track hidden?

You've seem to have worked this through quite well already, so I think I'm just missing something.

Wayne
Muddy,

You're right. I had a typo in my original post. The blue line along the wall will be buried, not the green. Thanks for pointing this out.

Shlitz