THIS IS PRETTY COOL-FOAM DINOSAUR

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Foam is awesome. I made a rudder for a Kit plane using Aerospace Foam, and fiberglass. It was unbelievable strong, two people could stand and bounce on it between two cinder blocks, with no damage, ( had cloth on the blocks), As long as you have a way for the foam to escape, it could be used in virtually any paper model. This would allow for sanding a surface, in which you made the cavity over sized, and allow the forming of compound surfaces which are part of the model. It is then covered and smooth to the desired texture with filler. It has to be sand-able foam though.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
I have to agree Zathros, Raven, Sly!
im also thinking that if carve a piece out of foam, or hardened feemo, that I could make a mold for paper putty out of foil. not sure yet.

i have to be real careful about fumes, a surgical mask and fan should be enough safety. I already have a heat gun. I like the cuts an layer for character.
that strechy fabric don't know. I think this is the medium I have been looking for, just use a mask for the glue and burning foam fumes. I have had years and years of experience with fiberglass and sanding marine plywood for surfboards and skim boards and display models for sci-fi comic book stores and such.
I cant fiber glass here in my apt, so maybe a paper mache' technique with something like this could work out. im thinking floral foam, epoxy cast pieces and then laying in a skin of some sort. maybe a flexy glue or putty with paper towels. I have mentioned this before but now I think I can do some free form dinos and such maybe even pieces like resin model kits do for lost in space and Klingon ships. I love being such a geek. the guy in the video is a frickin'genius! all those cos player duders are.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Make sure you use an exhaust fan, near your work area, and have it going out the windows.. Drier tubes make good tubes to make into exhaust vents, and you cane even make a permanent (semi) mount in the windows, as they have a flap, put a metal screen to keep out critters and bugs. :).