the wheel rediscovered.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
announce1 I think I have have discovered the wheel again:D might not be the first modeler to stumble on this but in doing the #1 challange cutting the styreen sheets was not going well . the other night at chat Catt and i talked about using a rotary paper cutter for scoring the sheets before snaping them went to Staples and got one so far it works great you can line up scribe lines with the edge of the cutter and two or three passes works well .I got the 6" one would recomended a 12" one ,can't score sheets the long way with the 6" one.

Attachments

• cutter.jpg
    cutter.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 227
  • cutter2.jpg
    cutter2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 223
  • cutter3.jpg
    cutter3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 221

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, now you tell us. I wish I had that a couple of weeks ago. Holding a ruler while trying to scribe a line with a knife isn't alway accurate, or fun... I'm going to check Michael's out, they ran a "40% off one item" coupon in the paper yesterday.

Thanks Jim, this is a great tip...:thumb:

Tayder

May 3, 2006
Cheez!! I've got a 12" cutter like that and it never dawned on me to try it with styrene. Thank you for the tip! Life will be even MORE fun now! :)

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Don the one Michael's has is not a rotary and it is higher priced , i got mine at Staples you might also try office Max.:wave: .With the one i got I have been able to make .035 cuts off the end of .040 styrene thin stuff like .010 cuts clean with 2 passes.

ezdays said:
Yeah, now you tell us. I wish I had that a couple of weeks ago. Holding a ruler while trying to scribe a line with a knife isn't alway accurate, or fun... I'm going to check Michael's out, they ran a "40% off one item" coupon in the paper yesterday.

Thanks Jim, this is a great tip...:thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
jim currie said:
Don the one Michael's has is not a rotary and it is higher priced , i got mine at Staples you might also try office Max.:wave: .With the one i got I have been able to make .035 cuts off the end of .040 styrene thin stuff like .010 cuts clean with 2 passes.
Thanks Jim, good thing I didn't go there today. There's an Office Max right next to Michael's there on Grand Ave. and Bell Rd.

One thing I've been using for getting narrow cuts on styrene is a "balsa stripper" that I bought from Micro Mart a few years ago. It has an adjustable xacto blade on it and I can get straight parallel cuts up to about one inch. It's a bit tricky to use on styrene, great on balsa wood though...:rolleyes:

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Andrew i tried getting my wifes rotary cutter and got my knuckels smacked with a coark backed ruler :)

88 the thickest i can do on this one is .060.

MasonJar said:
I use a corkback ruler (no slippage) and a rotary cutter I got from my wife's quilting supplies... ;) :D

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Jim,

You were right, Michael's didn't have anything but a regular cutter, which surprises me since they are a craft store with a very large scrapbooking section. It's not that I didn't believe you, but that 40% off coupon forced me to go look just in case. :D

Office Max had a choice of probably eight different ones, all 12" and they ranged in price from about $12 up to $40. Most were under $20. One was hanging a few counters down from the others since it was marked "craft paper trimmer", and I guess it was too embarrased to be with the rest of the plain ordinary paper cutters.:rolleyes: Peggy spotted that one :thumb:. I tried to see how much space was under the cutter slides, and it looks like the craft one had the most space, maybe as much as .100 inch.

Just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else went looking.:wave:

C

Catt

Jim,I think I should stop chatting with you.:D I went to Office Max and found one for $50.00 that almost came home with me.Why would I even concider paying $50. you ask? Oh cause it would do up to 10 sheets of paper.Oh and it would cut pieces up to 15" long (the plastic I use is 14 1/4" wide by 44" long)

No I didn't buy it ---------yet.:D But I sure am thinkin about it.