The Shark

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rockislandmike, Apr 24, 2002.

1. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

So I ungeared this unit so it could function as a dummy engine on my layout. But now I'm looking at it, thinking MAN these Baldwin Sharknoses look damned fine !!!!

But then I look at it again and sigh - the Rock never owned any, and it's unnumbered anyways. If I'm going to leave it as is, I really need to print some road number decals and apply them - and since I don't have an ALPS, they'd have to be in off-white, or yellow, or perhaps even, ack, black.

So here are my options, let me know what you think :

(1) repaint the Shark in a livery that it would have been found in prototypically - near as I can tell, that would limit me to eastern railroads, which wouldn't really fit in.

(2) repaint the Shark in a custom livery for one of my home-grown railroads - likely either Heather Valley, or J. Clarke Leasing.

(3) make a road number decal, and leave it operating for the ROCK (which I hear is a "mighty fine line")

(4) other options ????
  2. RI541

RI541 Member

I vote #3

Who's gonna know that the RI didn't have any shark nose's except for the 472 members here?

I wont tell
  3. IMRL393

IMRL393 Member

Why not make it a lease to the RIL ???

- George
  4. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

If you want to go the road # route but can't print white, why not just buy a decal number set, or a RI diesel set and figure a number which may have been used "if"? Am I to understand the unit was painted RI but not numbered? Seems odd.

Gary
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Mike:
    are you modelling a real part of the RI or an imaginary part? If it's imaginary, RI obviously bought sharks to run it.
    Trick may be finding a blank series of numbers.
  6. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Okay, you guys win - I ordered some Microscale decals from Walthers this morning (and tossed in three new rolling stock at the same time) :D
  7. BDC

BDC Member

My DRGW and SPSF lines just got in a Baldwin Shark as well. Since they didn't own one either, I opted for the demonstrator unit. OK, it probably never really made it out that far, but real trains don't run on a polystyrene roadbed either.:p
  8. Topo

Topo Member

Wow! The sharks in "Prospector" scheme would have been wonderful! :cool:
    What a pity that the Rio Grande didn't have none...
  9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Stranger things have happened. Didn't Delaware&Hudson paint sharks in their blue version of Santa Fe's warbonnet, to match the PAs?
  10. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Yes. Blue and silver...very nice.

Gary