The New Copper Ridge Railway

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
As I just posted in the N-scale forum, I've decided to discontinue the current Copper Ridge layout and start a new one sometime shortly after we move into our new house...

So, I've been doing some research and development into a new plan. I'd like some of the same basic elements as the original Copper Ridge:
  • The layout has to be fairly small (3' x 6' or less).
  • A main line with a branch line that runs up onto the ridge. Optionally, the whole layout can be the branchline, if I can squeeze out a long continuous run. I like to watch the trains run!
  • Lots of forest scenery. I love trees! (No, I don't hug them. They're just big plants, afterall; but they are pretty.)
  • A copper mine.
  • Some kind of forestry-related industry (logging for lumber or pulp wood).
  • A small town.
One thing that I do not want are tunnels. I've had it with trying to maintain track in tunnels! Even with the under-layout access holes in the current plan, it is still a pain to clean the track. Plus, I've been having electrical problems in one tunnel, which is a nightmare...

I've toyed with the "Little Layout" plan by Mike Fischer (http://www.naisp.net/users/mfischer/m_train1.htm). I like this plan because it has most of the elements that I want in a trackplan in a very small space (2' x 4'). The things that I don't like about it are (1) the branch line and the main line get too close together on the left side of the plan (the cliff looks unnatural to me), and (2) there's not enough room for a decent-sized town IMO.

Another layout that is very attractive to me is the Scenic and Relaxed (N-17) from Atlas' Nine N Scale Railroads plan book. (http://www.atlasrr.com/products/fanlayout/nlayout/n17.html). I've liked this plan ever since I first saw it, which was shortly after I got back into the hobby a few years ago. The picture on their website doesn't reflect the original intent of the plan. In the original plan it is an up-and-over arrangement with a river running under one of the bridges. The benchwork is a cookie-cutter design. It's pretty complex, though. If I build it, I intend to use all flex-track instead of the sectional track that the plan uses...

Below are a couple of plans that I've come up with.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
This little plan fits in about a 2' x 4' space. It has most of the elements of the original Copper Ridge, just in less space. It only has two industries (the mine and the town), but I guess it's a reasonable sacrifice to make for the small footprint.

I used bridges on the branchline instead of tunnels. This also made it practical to create a passing siding on the lower level.

The main problems that I see with this layout are: (1) the incline to the second level is fairly steep (about 3%), and (2) the mainline run is fairly short. Also, it lacks interest in a broader sense because of its size (although the smaller size provides more novelty, I suppose).

Attachments

• copper ridge 6a.gif
    copper ridge 6a.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 350

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
This plan is based on Atlas' O-6. I compressed it to fit into the available space.

I haven't analyzed this layout too much, but the first thing that strikes me as a potential problem is where the track crosses over itself about four feet from the left. At first glance, though, the plan has some interesting aspects with that up-and-over loop.

Attachments

• n version of o6.gif
    n version of o6.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 348

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Rory,
Don't know if this one will help in any way, but it for N-scale and is
5'-6" by 2'-6"

Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• lilliput(n).jpg
    lilliput(n).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 346

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Thanks, Shamus!

If you recall, the original Copper Ridge was based on a version of the Lilliput Logger that you posted. It was "watered down" considerably, though, because at the time I was trying to use only what track that I had on hand. But this time around I intend to buy all new track, so I'm open to having a more complex trackplan. I had considered trying to make a non-tunnel version of my current plan. This is a good template to work from. Thanks!

One other thing... I'm really not opposed to tunnels as long as I have easy (and I do mean easy) access.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
This is exciting news Rory!
While I really enjoyed following along with the design, & construction of the original CRR, (& getting lots of inspiration along the way!) there's nothing, for a model railroader, quite like the thrill, of planning a new project!
Hey, I really like the looks of that 2nd track plan you posted (Atlas 0-6) If it were me, I'd add a little bit more switching possibilities to it... but that's a really nice long mainline run there! Whenever I start something new, I might borrow some from that one!

eatst14

Apr 17, 2002
Greensburg
geocities.com
Rory here check this layout design out,
The first section is 3x8ft, and teh section that runs along the wall is 2x5 ft. The second section has all of the stagging and a large yard.

The first section houses a mine on top, and a town on the bottom half.

hope this works and looks right
Ed