The most challenging aspect of MR ...

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Here's a list of items describing various different building tasks on a model railroad. Tell us the one you like the best and least.

1. Benchwork and subroad bed cutting
2. Track laying and dialing it in (no backbends, kinks, etc.)
3. Installing Tortoises (try it using DS-44 stationary decoders)
4. Wiring, whether DC and DCC
5. Base scenery (cardboard strips, plaster, or whatever method)
6. Detailing scenery
7. Building rolling stock
8. Building structures
9. Installing Kadee or other couplers
10. Using an airbrush

Okay, there they are. Now tell us what you think, and if you like it all, tell us that too!

Let's work to keep the board alive.

Dog

P.S. This guy checks in at 250 lbs. and is as sweet and gentle as they come. What a teddy bear.

Attachments

• rudy.jpg
    rudy.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 218

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
The most challenging aspect of the hobby for me is getting off my duff!:rolleyes: :D
The parts of the hobby I like the least are wiring, wiring, & wiring!:rolleyes: :mad: :confused: :p

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm with Charlie when it comes to wiring! Installing couplers and handrails for locomotives gives me fits. I enjoy making structures out of inexpensive materials and like it when my attempts at scenary go well. Good thing there are so many fun parts of the hobby to make up for the more irksome! :)
Ralph

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Charlie
The most challenging aspect of the hobby for me is getting off my duff!:rolleyes: :D

I prefer to call that challenge "finding the time" can't "find the time," Charlie, let's give the ole duff a break. It needs rest. Problem is "finding time" :D :D :D hehehe

Seriously, I like all aspects. My favorite is scenery and scratching/bashing locos and rollin' stock. But I can monkey with elecronal stuff, cut stripwood, or plan stuff all day long, all the while, remaining fat, dumb and happy.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
BTW: what the heck is Bubba-lou (my chihuahua) doin' on your mastiff???

Another great thing about the-gauge: you can usually get away with postin' your dog about anywhere.

Bubba love to chase trains around the test loop!

Attachments

• kiss.jpg
    kiss.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 195

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Jon,

That's a lab puppy on the back of Rudy the Mastiff! Rudy wasn't sure what to do, he looked a bit worried.

I have never seen a white chiwawa. Pretty cool. Rudy would probably eat him up in one bite! :)

Dog

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I would say that of all those aspects, the only one I haven't any experience with is the airbrush.
I do have problems with scenery, usually deciding what I want and trying to fit it into the 2" left where there's no track.
Wiring always seems to me to be totally straightforward -- the only problem is that it's so repetitititious!
What is hardest? restricting my purchases to what is appropriate rather than what is neat.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon

I prefer to call that challenge "finding the time" can't "find the time," Charlie, let's give the ole duff a break. It needs rest. Problem is "finding time" :D :D :D hehehe

i have to agree with Jon with work:( the honey dew list and other things one has to do its hard to plan time for modeling.

favorite is scratch building anything.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have Ikea Ivar unfinished pine bookcases up for bench work in a spare room. I have cleaned it off numerous times in prep for beginning a switching layout. It keeps getting cluttered with stuff before I can get started. So my least favorite part of the hobby is cleaning off the benchwork, and my biggest challenge is keeping it cleaned off long enough to get a railroad started!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ivar

Russ:
I have an entire layout supported by Ivar! (I've mentioned it before). I use L-girders to hold the layout on top of the bookshelves, flanges on the outside.
My biggest challenge in modelling is anything that involves curves, especially curves in more than one direction.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Since I haven't got anything actually put together yet I guess the parts I like best are designing the layout, coming up with special circuits that will add to the realism and building and kitbashing structures. I must be a little weird. I have been working on the layout for several years but haven't laid a foot of track or built a scene and still have enjoyed the hobby more than anything else for a long time.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
I have to agree with Jon about the "finding time" being the biggest challenge. Between work, Family association reuniln planning, Various choir activities, and The Gauge, there isn't mucch time left for the MR stuff. I find when I totally shut down the computer for a week or more, I can spend time building things in the train room.

I do not dislike any of the selections. They are all a part of the hobby.

Need to take a course in time management:D :D :D

George E

Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
I use 2 inch styrofoam for trainboard, and laying cork and track is fun and easy. Those tiny nails push right in and never work back out. Foam can easily be cut for creeks, etc. Hills are easy to build up. Scenery with foam is also a blast. Easy to make awesome stratified rock layers. Without scenery, any model railroad is dull.