Temporarily secure flex track?

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I had a friend help me complete a good portion of my benchwork. Now I need to find a way to temporarily lay track and turnouts so that I can run the plywood central until I can work on the real layout (after surgeries and recovery). Anyone have a method that will allow me to re-use the track and turnouts?

Thanks,
Matt

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Track nails, or even thumbtacks (the flat kind). You can also lay flex temporarily with caulking, although this is a more "permanent" method than tacking it as above.

However, you will have to cut the flextrack to fit, especially if you have any curves. So be sure of your plan, and when you take it up, be sure to label it to avoid problems when re-installing.

Andrew

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Go to a dollar/discount store and get a hot-melt glue gun and glue sticks. The glue is strong enough to hold your track in place (just put a little dot every inch or so along the centreline, then press the track into it) but soft enough that when the time comes, you can pull it off, peel the glue off the track and ply, and re-lay it again.

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I went with the hot glue gun. I have opted to leave the roadbed out of the equation for this temporary layout. I don't want to have to buy it twice. I will post some pics later, if I get time.

dougget

Feb 14, 2008
I'm using T-pins to layout my track.
The 1.75" ones are working well with my 2" foam base.
Most office supply stores have them. I got mine at Staples.

tpins.jpg

Doug