Take alook at this!

Back in Novemeber 2001, I posted this article. http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=1161&highlight=signal+lights Take alook at July 2006 issuse of Model Railroader, page 76. Does this look fimular? I emailed MR. Told them about the posting here in The Gauge. Maybe The Gauge will get free press?!sign1 I don't care about the information, as long my fellow modellers gets it!

Andy:wave:

trainnut65

Feb 17, 2006
Thay are taking the post and rewording them to say the same thing and puttin them in the magazine. Happens all the time.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Andy,

Your tutorial is a great one! It is interesting to see something similar in MR but you're our own local resource and interactive! :)
Ralph

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
N Gauger said:
This stuff has happened here before,...... we would post something and a month or so later - Mrr would have it in teh mag :( :(
but noone ever got paid for the articles

Ewe thank id maye bee hour grammer end spilling that keaps them fum pain us?:thumb:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I agree with wickman - It would be nice to see it with pics too :)

shaygetz - there's also the possibility that someone is plagerizing by simply reading the posts (member or not) and then writing and submaitting an article to any mag - using our ideas :( :( Something we have no control over :(

FallBuck&Scaler

Jul 2, 2006
I'm not an expert on copyright law, but I do know the basics...

"once an idea, a concept, or design has been fixed into a tangible form (writing, publishing, electronic or not) it automatically becomes protected under US copyright law"

Now, I am not advocating a lawsuit... but I do suggest that some sort of warning be posted so that plaguirism could conceivably be prevented. "All posts copyrighted by their respective author and may not be reproduced without consent"

I'm all for sharing hints, tips, tricks FOR FREE... but someone is getting an article published, with someone elses' work ? That's just cheating, the absolute least they could do, is cite the original author from here...

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
FallBuck&Scaler said:
I'm not an expert on copyright law, but I do know the basics...

"once an idea, a concept, or design has been fixed into a tangible form (writing, publishing, electronic or not) it automatically becomes protected under US copyright law"

Now, I am not advocating a lawsuit... but I do suggest that some sort of warning be posted so that plaguirism could conceivably be prevented. "All posts copyrighted by their respective author and may not be reproduced without consent"

I'm all for sharing hints, tips, tricks FOR FREE... but someone is getting an article published, with someone elses' work ? That's just cheating, the absolute least they could do, is cite the original author from here...

It's been part of the Gauge Rules for more than 2 years :( :(

3.2. Photographs and information posted by any member are assumed to be the member's own work, or used with permission. It is considered proper “netiquette” to give credit and/or a link to materials that are not your own. In this case, please link to the picture - do not post a copy of the picture on The Gauge.

FallBuck&Scaler

Jul 2, 2006
N Gauger... while that is an excellent rule, 'netiquette' is a slightly different issue... i.e post your own work, here, or have permission to post anothers'...

Publishing a work taken from The Gauge, in a periodical which claims its' own copyrights of said work, is literally copyright infringement. Again, I'm not advocating a lawsuit, but assuming someone is getting paid for an article which appears in a model railroading magazine, the contents of which appeared here, first (NOT a derivative work, rewording a post from The Gauge with the same exact methods, is not derivative, it is copying) is literally taking money for someone elses' actual idea.

Think of it this way... say I post a photo here, of my Texas (Colorado) class 2-10-4 CB&Q locomotive. Assume someone with Photoshop skills, plays around with the photo, and reposts it here, with a new background and/or smoke pouring out of the stack. Technically, it is not derivative... they took a photo and merely 'changed' the appearence, so as to look prototypical, and assuming they had no permission, is a no-no.

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but it seems to me, people are freely sharing their ideas, methods, tricks and model railroading secrets without expectation of compensation, other than the admiration and gratitude of The Gauge membership. Then, someone STEALS the idea, gets it published in a national magazine which then claims copyright for the article, and probably pays for the article.

Seems not only cheating, but literally stealing, if you ask me. Makes one wonder if the person who wrote the published article is a member here..

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
FallBuck&Scaler said:
N Gauger... while that is an excellent rule, 'netiquette' is a slightly different issue... i.e post your own work, here, or have permission to post anothers'...

Publishing a work taken from The Gauge, in a periodical which claims its' own copyrights of said work, is literally copyright infringement. Again, I'm not advocating a lawsuit, but assuming someone is getting paid for an article which appears in a model railroading magazine, the contents of which appeared here, first (NOT a derivative work, rewording a post from The Gauge with the same exact methods, is not derivative, it is copying) is literally taking money for someone elses' actual idea.

Think of it this way... say I post a photo here, of my Texas (Colorado) class 2-10-4 CB&Q locomotive. Assume someone with Photoshop skills, plays around with the photo, and reposts it here, with a new background and/or smoke pouring out of the stack. Technically, it is not derivative... they took a photo and merely 'changed' the appearence, so as to look prototypical, and assuming they had no permission, is a no-no.

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but it seems to me, people are freely sharing their ideas, methods, tricks and model railroading secrets without expectation of compensation, other than the admiration and gratitude of The Gauge membership. Then, someone STEALS the idea, gets it published in a national magazine which then claims copyright for the article, and probably pays for the article.

Seems not only cheating, but literally stealing, if you ask me. Makes one wonder if the person who wrote the published article is a member here..

That's what I'm saying :) If someone posts anything here - it is assumed to be that person's work, not a public thing, not for public use.... that's one reason why we worded it that way... if you post a pic of any RR related thing you took, it's yours by copyright.... If someone takeds it & alters it in any way - - it's still your work.... not theirs..... The funny part of thi rule/law is.. if you take a pic of a NS logo, the pic is yours - - but the "logo" still is a registered trademard of NS :)

As far as it being a member here - Someone would only have to look at the submitter's name in that issue of Mrr :) :)

I only think it might be a lurker not a member -- and remember - it has happened before - and no one ever got a lawyer............. I'm sure it happens way more than the mags know :( :(