Syringe to the rescue for ballast problem

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Herc Driver, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. Herc Driver

    Herc Driver Active Member

    I tried to post this under Tips and Tricks but a system message said I wasn't allowed, so here it is...

    I read and used the great ballast techniques you have all written and will see the results of my work tomorrow when everything dries. One thing I did discover (and you more experienced and wiser ones probably already know this trick) is that a 1 ml syringe worked GREAT at placing the water/detergent mixture and the water/glue mixture exactly where it was needed on the track. I found the smaller the syringe (no needle of course!) the better flow control. I tried an eyedropper but didn't get the same amount each time - and working on N gauge - that made it tough. With the syringe, it was no problem at all. Since I'm using Bachmann EZ track, which has a plastic roadbed, I found it difficult to get the ballast to stick to the sides of the track roadbed. The surface was too slippery to hold the ballast in place. I used a stronger glue mixture and a syringe and was able to place just a drop of glue/water between each rail tie exactly where it was needed. Hopefully tomorrow, the track will look the way I wanted it to be.

    You can get a syringe (for free) at any pharmacy, Target, Walmart etc...and the smaller the better. They are normally given to parents for free with children's medication - espically for newborns - so ask around...somebody is bound to have one. You can also use them as a mini-vacuum...simply use a dry syringe to suck up ballast or debris by pulling out the plunger. Granted, the amount you'll remove is small, but in some cases that may be just the thing.
  2. ezdays

    ezdays Out AZ way

    Good tip.:thumb:

    There are two other souces for syringes that work. We have a Rockler's woodworking store here that sells plastic glue syringes with molded plastic tips and a cap to block the tip when you're not using it. I think they are about fifty-cents each. Another source is from those inkjet refill kits.They usually come with a long blunt metal tip. They are great for applying "wet" water as well as thinned-out glue.
  3. Herc Driver

    Herc Driver Active Member

    Good ideas...

    I knew those smarter that I would have already broken the code and used a syringe or something like it for these purposes.

  4. Iron Goat

    Iron Goat Member

  5. Herc Driver

    Herc Driver Active Member

    I figured I'd discovered something already well known to the rest of the train world. Oh well.
  6. jim currie

    jim currie Active Member

    any place that sells vet supplies will have them in a lot of sizes.with large needles that can be blunted .
  7. Tileguy

    Tileguy Member

    They also come with printer ink refill kits :)
    I have both and have used both but personally I prefer the curved tip type from a vet.
    DOH!!!! Sorry Don, i see you already mentioned the printer kit type ;)

Share This Page