Switches making me crazy

Vody333

Feb 14, 2004
Fremont, ca
Visit site
This is my first n gauge layout but have built a few HO's with my father but I cannot seem to get 4 of my switches to operate properly. Sometimes they will work, sometimes not. There is really no hobby store remotley close by the nearset decent one is 50 miles away so iwould like to get these working if I can think of why they are not... here is the scenerio. They have power they make the buzzing sound but it seems to me that they are sticking or just getting jammed. They will work one way but won't switch back to the other.

Thank you for all your help in this matter

Signed,
A new guy to this forum

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Welcome to the Gauge New Guy. I'm not as experienced as a lot of folks here, but I will give this a shot.

To start with, what brand of switches are you using? I've had a lot of problems with N scale Life Like. But it sounds to me that maybe your transformer isn't putting out a high enough voltage to drive the switch coil, especially if you can hear a buzzing sound and it doesn't switch. I'm assuming you are running the switch from the "accessory" output rather than the rail output. If you had a voltmeter you could measure the output. It might be high enough (see the power pack's rating), but go down to one or two volts when you try to switch. If so, either the switch coil has a short in it, or the transformer is bad. If it happens on more than one switch, it probably is the power pack.

One way to blow the coil or create a short on a switch is to keep the voltage on it too long. They are not rated for more than a second or so of sustained power.

Good luck.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Vody333 and welcome to the gauge;)

They should work the same way as H O which you use to work with.
It sounds like the buzz wire is on the wrong connection have you tried repositioning the three wires?
That scenerio sounds like it could be the prob.:wave:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Welcom to The gauge vody :)

I'm going the other way.. You say "4 switches won't work" are there others that DO work????

If so - I had the same problem with a couple atlas switches. Can you move the turnouts by hand??? They may be binding. Try putting a small wedge on the tracks Next To the switches near the rail joiner to lift the switch a bit (Tilting it). Not under the switches, but under the track leading into the switch. First try one side, then remove it & try the other side. Your choice where you want to start. :)

Also Remember Never nail the switch down, use nails on all three tracks Around the switch, letting the switch sort of "float" between the tracks.

We solved a lot of "Bad Switch" problems like this.

Let us know how it works, We'll keep watching here to see how you did. :D :D