SW7 re-paint

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by spitfire, Jan 31, 2005.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I picked up the BLI switcher earlier this week. They didn't have a CNR paint scheme so I decided to do it myself. The LHS also didn't have an undecorated model so I started off with a PRR as it would be easiest.

First I painted the whole engine black, then added Microscale decals for the roadname and cab number, and painted the rails CN yellow as well as the lower part of the walkway. There were no decals for the smaller numbers on the back of the cab, so I made some with my inkjet printer.

I also made sunshades for the cab out of styrene, and then weathered the whole thing.

It's certainly not as good as a factory paint job, but it looks ok for now.

Attached Files:

• sw7.jpg
      File size:
      42.4 KB
  2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

That poor poor PRR Diesel painted over with a new color and road name :cry: but glad to see the unit has a new home on the CNR. Looks GREAT Val. You always do a GREAT Job. Keep it up and can't wait to see more. :wave: :D
  3. ausien

ausien Active Member

great job val, did you dull coat as well? I`ll take two please...have a good one..steve
  4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Don't cry Matthew. BLI seems intent on producing the entire PRR roster!

Steve, I haven't had the greatest results from dullcoat, so I don't use it anymore. The dull finish is from some weathering powders. Forget what kind, but they have an adhesive in them that is activated by rubbing.

5. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

LOL, took sometime :D :D , but even thought i am a Pennsy fan i plan on getting more chessie equipment ( but will have some pennsy equipment on lease for the railroad ) since my railroad will be modeled after the Chessie System, don't know what line yet.
  6. 2slim

2slim Member

Very nice gal!! :thumb:
    Does it have sound? Care to give us a critique?
    How does the detail compair to say the Proto 2000 SW's?

7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

"It's certainly not as good as a factory paint job, but it looks ok for now."

I'm thinking...maybe you haven't seen too many factory paint jobs?
    Looks mighty ____ good to me!
  8. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Funny you should ask that - I have the Proto SW1200, but unfortunately it's at the LHS getting checked out. The decoder I had installed is not working, or I could sit them side by side and give you a true comparison.

As far as how it runs, it runs smooth, steady and nice and slow. I've pulled a 30-car train with it - the limit of my rolling stock right now. Details are nice and an added plus is that the grab irons are metal.

9. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Very nice Val! What kind of decal paper did you use? And fixitive?
  10. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks Jon. I used Super Cal paper and their Last Step fixative. The prototype numbers are CN yellow with a yellow border around them. I don't have an Alps printer, so I cheated. I used white paper and printed the numbers and outline on a black background. Then I just cut the decal around the border. The illusion worked quite well I think.

Here's a closeup of the decals.

Attached Files:

11. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

That's a super looking switcher you have there, Val. You do darn fine work !!!

Bob :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  12. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Nice work Val. That's a good looking loco
  13. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks a lot guys! :) :) Still have to get some MU hoses onto front and back. LHS was out, so I'm waiting.....patiently....................well......................sort of patiently.

14. CN1

CN1 Active Member

Looking good :thumb:
  15. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Looks better than a factory paint job if you ask me. :thumb:
  16. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Indeed, a fine looking paint job!
  17. Tad

Tad Member

Nice job, Val!
  18. moria

moria Member

Great Job Val :thumb:

Hope my GTW one looks as good when done:)

19. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks very much folks. Graham, I have a little advice from painting this that you might find useful. The part I'm not too happy with is the yellow strip under the walkway. I think I should have airbrushed this first, then masked it, then painted black, instead of the other way around. It would be a lot easier to mask off this strip then to mask everything else.
    Oh well, there's always next time!

20. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Better Than Factory, I'll Bet...

Well, from where I'm sitting, that looks like a fantastic paint job, Val. Very nicely done! :thumb: