Stub Turnouts

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Okay..... In prep for my next (and last) layout which I hope to begin in the not too distant future: I plan on hand-laying HO standard gauge track, code 83, and want to use stub turnouts (to go with the 1880's era of the layout.) Anyone out there on The Gauge done stub turnouts? I am going to make a few as a practice exercise, but if you guys can give me the benefit of your experience, I may avoid a few pitfalls. I expect them to be easier to build as there are no points to create, but I suspect that keeping the flyrails in position may take some creative thinking.
Thanks,
Bill

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Bill, Glad to see someone else who handlays on the Gauge. I wish I could help you with your stub turnouts, but I have never built one. Not familiar with the terminology either, I believe the movable points of a standard turnout are replaced with movable stock rails, which then line up with the diverging routes? I just wanted to acknowledge your post, good luck and let us know how you manage.

Gary

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Hi Gary,

Yes, your description is correct. I'm not so sure of the terminology myself. I was once told that those moving rails were called fly rails, but I've no idea whether it's correct. Stub turnouts were out of favor by about 1900, but they were still occasionally seen, particularly on less-often used branches, and on starving narrow gauge lines, right up until the 1940's or 50's, I guess. Prior to 1880 or 1890, all turnouts were stubs.

Bill

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Bill!
If you could possibly find a copy (or photocopy) of the Oct. 1965 Model Railroader, there's an article in it on scratchbuilding stub turnouts step by step.
There was also an article in MR this past April (2001) on how to build a 3-way stub. That one should be easy to find.
Good Luck!