Starting over!

Joepomp

Dec 29, 2002
New Jersey How yous doing
Visit site
Thats it! I diden't get the layout finished and I am starting over. I was in to much of a hurry so I will redesign the whole thing over. I thought I would make on big table in the middle of the basement, but now I see, around the walls is the only way to go. I am keeping the yard I had on the table, by luck it fits in one corner. Can anyong give me advice on this partial plain so far?
I still am not sure about the A/D tracks, the yard lead, and the runaround tracks operation. I hope the drawing is readable. :eek:

Attachments

• LAYOUT.gif
    LAYOUT.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 311

Shlitz

Sep 6, 2004
Bartlett, IL
trains.acsipc.com
I learned the hard way too about large tables. Walk around design is definitely the way to go.

If you haven't already, it would really help to get your track plan in the computer. The free Atlas Right Track software is easy to learn and a free download. During my track laying I am referring to my computer plan frequently to make sure things fit.

It looks like you're quite fortunate to have such a large space for your layout. Is the area finished at all? I was frequently annoyed with a cold concrete floor and noisy furnace and appliances in my basement so I finished a room before starting my new layout construction.

My plans can be viewed at http://trains.acsipc.com

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
What scale are you modeling in? How long is that double ended yard? How deep is the benchwork at the double ended yard. If you use "y" type switches for yard ladders, you can save some space.

Joepomp

Dec 29, 2002
Visit site
Thanks

The double ended yard is about 8 ft. The squares are 1 ft x 1 ft. scale is HO. The basment is not finished, but I don't mind it keeps the taxes down! This is just the first draft. My current yard with the turn table will fit where it is shown.

Joepomp

Dec 29, 2002
Visit site
Good point

I was going to cut the table in the corners on an angle, but the double ended yard is 4 ft wide. That may have to be made 3 ft wide. I was trying to squeze every inch I could. I have to see if I can reach once the table is up.
thanks.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Joe,Our 2 main yards at the club is 4' wide..However,we can access the yards from both sides-if needed howbeit its a rather tight fit for most of us shall I say hefty size guys? :wave: :D