STAR TREK DISCOVERY: BOOOOO!!!!!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
My Satellite Company (Dish) removed CBS from the line up after so many complaints!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Yep, the ugly triangle was inspired by RMQ's concept drawings for ST:TMP. FORTUNATLEY they decided to go with Andy Probert's concepts of the Refit. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybergrinder

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Trying to give this thread some momentum in between std episodes, I remember using punch cards to make requests to a computer, dewy decimal system index cards at the library full of books, asking a librarian for information on esoteric subjects and waiting to see re-runs on antenna TV. Now I have a touch screen keyboard with autospell correct to access world wide internet information on myrechargable kindle to enjoy video\audio files instantly at home. What transitions have you seen on STD that you can relate to?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
That's some kind of a problem. Even today's technology looks a lot fancier than what was shown on TOS. So "making it right" implies going full retro. According to the viewing habits of a "modern" audience I doubt this can be done any longer. After all what I have seen so far in the web it is looking more like the Abramsverse than the Roddenberryverse. BTW, "Star Trek Continues" is of a completely different caliber though. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Not to be a wet rag, but I find none of this interesting. They've changed a couple of things of the triangle star ship, but jeez, this is more rehashing than Star Wars.Still, more science fiction is good for every body, but still BOOOOOO! For having to make people eats the crumbs that fall off the table. I watch nothing on CBS now. :ass-kicking:

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
LOL, for a long time we in SA lived on "scraps & crumbs" (apartheid boycots, etc). I was over the moon when we got anything sci-fi!

Now with satalite TV we can get almost anything. No CBS though, wonder why? ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
They have only one television show worth watching. Being the capitalists pigs they are, it's not enough to sit through commercials, you now have the purchase thr rights to watch the tripe the show. I have no idea if this Star Trek is good, will stand the test of time, but they won't get a penny from me. Voyager and Deep Space 9 )a.k.a. Babylon 5) were the last two good series, Enterprise wasn't bad either, though Scott Bakula was a very poor choice for the captain. The series is fast becoming played out. Just rehash after rehash, kind of like Star Wars, which is a semi-damp spong having the last drop squeezed out of it. Apparently,, there is no one left with any original ideas. Oh wait, I forget, the new series "The Expanse", which is literally out of this world, and a modelers dream! :)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
That's some kind of a problem. Even today's technology looks a lot fancier than what was shown on TOS. So "making it right" implies going full retro. According to the viewing habits of a "modern" audience I doubt this can be done any longer. After all what I have seen so far in the web it is looking more like the Abramsverse than the Roddenberryverse. BTW, "Star Trek Continues" is of a completely different caliber though. ;)

With all respect, I have to disagree. We have gotten into a habit of grebe-ships since Star Wars, which was more familiar to the space shuttles of the time. Alien and other period pieces impressed the awkward-greebie approach as "advanced."

Perhaps more advanced would have components internalized and protected by outer skins.

When Drexler was working on Enterprise, he and his team were worried about bringing the Defiant into the show and making the TOS era look silly when near the contemporary ships of Enterprise. What the staff found was that the TOS designs held up well.

When modern camera tech is used on the old designs they are quite impressive...and futuristic...