Spectrum 2-8-0 Decoder Buzzing

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
I just got a brand new Spectrum 2-8-0 with DCC on board. But at low speeds (it's a 28 speed step decoder) - until about speed step 9, the motor buzzes like nothing else, but it does move properly. Speed 10 and above, runs and sounds just fine.

Is this normal for Bachmann? I don't have any others, and am a little surprised. Or is there a fix for it? Or just a crummy decoder?

Thanks,
Scott

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You may be able to alter this somewhat - check for the CVs that control start and stop voltage, and one I believe Digitrax calls "profile" or something like that. It can help "tune" the decoder to feed power in a way that causes less buzzing. However, in my experience, DCC noises are somewhat different than DC noises.

The other "fix" is to try different decoders until you find a quiet one. Have you used a recommended decoder, or simply dropped anything in?

Andrew

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
MasonJar said:
Have you used a recommended decoder, or simply dropped anything in?

No it's equipped with the decoder it shipped with - one of those Bachmann out of the box DCC equipped locos.

I'll play around with the CVs a little and see what happens.

Scott

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I don't currently have DCC so I know nothing about it, but is it possible that something is binding up in your loco, and the motor is fighting to overcome it, and when the voltage/current is high enough, the motor wins out and the binding is not a problem anymore?

PS. I will be buying the same system you are using very shortly just to try it out.