Southern MN Trainspotting

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Just happened to be driving by as the sun was setting over this Unimin plant between Mankato and St. Peter. I sent a proof to the Unimin headquarters to see if they were interested in it, no reply.

Attachments

• guage5.jpg
    guage5.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 110

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Rusted, if only my wife understood my modeling and railfanning hobby!

Peggy is from Ely, MN, her father worked in the Taconite mines and she went to Gustavus in St. Peter.

Can you say DM&IR?

Peggy does not know what she is missing and your photography proves my point. Her loss and I gave up long ago!!!

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Greg: Worthington, no. Work with a guy originally from Worthington (Haffield).

I've attached a few more rail fanning photos, one in particular should spark your interest.

Babydot - I'm very lucky, my wife tolerates and even takes the kids out on her own when I'm working.

My wife and I lived in Duluth for 3 years. I was not into model railroading at all. I always looked at the ore docks and hoped I'd get an ambulance call to one some day. Didn't railfan then - probably wouldn't have moved away.

Did railfan this summer, watched a midwest energy unit coal train be pulled around the loop by a couple of radio controlled units. Slow action, but neat.

Attachments

• gauge3.jpg
    gauge3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 95

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
While driving in northern Wisconsin, my son yelled from the back of the van "Dad, there's a steam engine in the woods!" At first my wife and I thought what a great imagination. But on further questioning he had certainly seen something. After about 5 miles, my wife finally gave in and we turned around, back tracked and waited near a crossing:

Attachments

• gauge4.jpg
    gauge4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 95

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Rusted,

Do you have any pix of rail action in the Cloquet, Virginia, Hibbing Ely areas of MN showing the ore trains?

My MIL is here visiting for an extended period of time and I am sure that she and Peggy would enjoy a trip down memory lane.

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
I don't. I was there twice in the past couple of months - no action there at the time. I do go monthly to Duluth though and will be getting some.

When in Ashlund over Thanksgiving this last year I snapped these two of the abandoned ore dock there, one from the north side and one right down the middle.

Attachments

• gauge2.jpg
    gauge2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 91

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Interurban: I would love to give you a bunch of them back. I hunt for the blue and yellow DM&Es - too often a six engine consist is all ex-CP!

Snowing here tonight - I hope to get out early and catch something on film moving fast on the tracks.