Sources of engine service facility info

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Kalmbach has published two books that would probably help you. They have one out on railroading in the 50's and they came out with one a couple of years ago on railroad maintanance facilities if I remember correctly.

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Thanks Russ. I got the one on the 50's which is okay as a source for this, but not too much. I'll try to hunt down the other one - I already know the local library ain't got it (I know their model railroad collection pretty much by heart), so maybe I'll check Amazon used books...

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
John Pryke has a book out on steam - a very talented modeller who has had all kinds of articles in MR. I do not know if he addresses prototypical steam service (and how to model it) in his book, or just our scale versions.

Andrew

JAyers

Sep 9, 2004
Certainly it does. There s quite a lot of info about design considerations and hump yard operations. It pretty much is the standard that everyone references. A great read whether you're going to go down to that level of realism and operationalism or not.

John

babydot94513 said:
Stump. does this book also cover yard operations and design?

JD

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
JAyers said:
Certainly it does. There s quite a lot of info about design considerations and hump yard operations. It pretty much is the standard that everyone references. A great read whether you're going to go down to that level of realism and operationalism or not.

John

I ended up reviewing both this and the McGuirk loco-terminal specific book...

Both are interesting and valuable, though Armstrong's material is limited to a scant couple of pages. Good stuff, but it's like comparing the Cliff's Notes to the full novel (where loco service is concerned).