Sound decoders and older DCC Systems

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
I had one locomotive left to convert to DCC, my Proto 2000 E8 with a mars light. I held out on converting this loco because I was afraid of messing up the mars light. Well, I found a write up on converting the loco using a z-scale decoder and thought I might give it a try. I don't know how, but I messed it up. I ended up removing the light board from the loco altogether.
Anyway, business has picked up a bit and I thought I would treat myself. I sent the Loco out to have a Digitrax sound decoder installed, and the installer said he could also fix the light issue. So, end result I should be getting back a decoder equipped E8 with sound and a working Mars light.
Onto the question. I'm currently using an older MRC Command 2000 DCC system. I plan on upgrading to a Digitrax system (hopefully soon). I assume the usual forward/ reverse and lights on or off will work. The current system only has one "Accessory" button which I assume will turn on the diesel sound. I'm thinking I won't be able to access the bell, horn, etc. until I upgrade. Does this sound correct to you? Or should I bump up my conversion timetable?

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
myltlpny, the "diesel sound" should come on as soon as the engine hits the rails;). my guess, and this is only a guess, is that the accessory button will run either the horn or the bell. after you get the engine back, please post what sounds are functioning, i am curious to know what that old system is capable of doing with sound decoders;). :D -Deano